Ali Abdaal is a doctor, YouTuber, and podcaster who has an amazing home office setup that you need to see.
Ali has built an enormous following on YouTube with more than 2 million subscribers to his channel that covers productivity, tech, some personal development, earning money online, and a lot more.
Here’s what I love about Ali’s desk setup.
BTW – before before we get started: if you want to get more great ideas for your home office and connect with other home office hackers to make your space the best join my free private Facebook group, Home Office Hacks here.
Computer & Hardware
The first thing you notice is that Ali is using a gigantic computer monitor!
Seriously, you can’t miss it.
His monitor is an LG 49 inch ultrawide monitor that seems like it’s almost as wide as his entire desk.
LG 49WL95C-W 49″ 32:9 Curved UltraWide 5K HDR IPS Monitor with HDMI, Display Port, and USB-C Cables, LCD Cleaning Set, and Electronics Basket Microfiber Cloth – Base Bundle
- Bundle Includes: 1 x LG 49WL95C-W 49″ 32:9 Curved UltraWide 5K HDR IPS Monitor | 1 x Plasma/LCD Clean and Care Set | 1 x Electronics Basket Microfiber Cloth
- Space for Ultimate Productivity – Go Beyond Multitasking – The 49WL95C is an UltraWide 32:9 Dual QHD (5120×1440) monitor with a doubled 27-inch 16:9 QHD pixel space in one screen. With 70% more pixels compared to 32:9 FHD resolution (3840×1080), you can go beyond multitasking with a multi-format multiplex. Save Time – Find references and organize stock images for use with raw images. Image thumbnails can be viewed on a single screen without changing the current window.
And here’s the bottom line:
In my mind, it makes more sense to have one huge monitor like this than having multiple monitors because it makes for a seamless workflow on your screen.
Here’s something that I found a little puzzling though.
He’s using a M1 Mac Mini.
2020 Apple Mac Mini with Apple M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 256GB SSD Storage)
- Apple-designed M1 chip for a giant leap in CPU, GPU, and machine learning performance
- 8-core CPU packs up to 3x faster performance to fly through workflows quicker than ever*
It seems like it works for him so I can’t fault him, but I’d be concerned that it wouldn’t have quite enough horsepower to do the heavy lifting of the video work he does.
He’s obviously not doing as much work, or work that’s as in depth as what Justin Tse does because he’s using a totally different machine.
He’s using a mechanical keyboard too – and you either love these devices or you hate them.
Some people like their keys to be quiet.
Some people prefer the tactile feel and response of a mechanical keyboard and love the sound.
The Iqunix model he’s using looks pretty awesome with the color variations on the keys.
Ali’s office isn’t extravagant, but it’s 100% on point.
He’s got a fantastic adjustable height desk which is a mainstay for just about any kind of work these days.
The specific one he’s using is the Jarvis Standing Desk with a natural bamboo top, and it’s an awesome fit for his workspace.
Fully Jarvis Standing Desk 60″ x 30″ Natural Bamboo Top – Electric Adjustable Desk Height from 25.5″ to 51″ with Memory Preset Controller (Rectangle, Black Frame)
- EASILY ADJUSTABLE: Award winning sit stand adjustable desk frame easily adjusts from 25.5″ to 51″ (including desktop) with 350 lb lifting capacity, works for most people 5’4″ to 7′ tall
- PROGRAMMABLE, FAST, QUIET, ELECTRIC LIFT: Easy to read handset with 4 customizable memory presets for quick 1.5″ per second height adjustment with industry leading warranty
Herman Miller chairs are a popular choice for good reason.
I really loved how he explained how the Herman Miller people came to set it up for him and teach him how to get it set right.
If you appreciate precision-crafted, high-end workmanship, then the Ugmonk stuff should be right up your alley.
Organizing your desk space is important, and these tools are super helpful and look amazing.
The “Analog” to-do list is pretty cool too.
His desktop lighting is nothing to get too excited about. It’s not like he’s got the Dyson lamp that Justin Tse has.
But the notable thing about his lighting is that he’s using the Philips Hue smart lights which he has connected to his Alexa device that he can change the colors on with a simple voice command.
Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Base Lumen (60W) Smart Button Starter Kit, 16 Millions Colors, Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit 60 Watt (Old Version)
- What’s in the Box; Each kit contains 3 Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance A19 60W LED Smart bulbs (able to fit most lamps, overhead lights, and 4-inch recessed cans ); Philips Hue hub that can reliably control up to 50 Hue lights without slowing your Wi-Fi; and one Smart Button with mounting plates.
- Voice activated: By using the Hue Hub, these Smart Bulbs connect to your favorite smart home devices like Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, or Google Assistant for the ultimate smart home experience.
Want to join others who are creating the most amazing home offices and get more tips, tricks and hacks on how to make your home office the best it can be?
Join my brand new free private Facebook group, Home Office Hacks to connect with other home office hackers to make your space the best!