Need better lighting for your home office? Look no further than LED lighting.
LED lights are a fantastic solution for your home office lighting needs because they’re adjustable, they provide a fantastic atmosphere effect that can help you be more productive while you’re working, they’re great for shooting video and doing video conference calls and they’re super easy to use and they can save you a ton of money on your power bill.
LED lighting has become increasingly popular in recent years. It’s been used in a variety of applications including homes, offices and even vehicles.
But are they environmentally friendly?
How long does an LED light last?
Will LED light make your home office hotter like a regular incandescent bulb?
In this article, I’ll explain why LED lights are the answer to your home office lighting needs, instead of traditional incandescent bulbs.
By the way – before we get too far along here, if you want to get more great ideas for your gaming room or home office and connect with other home office hackers to make your space the best join my free private Facebook group, Home Office Hacks here.
Do LED Lights Really Help Your Home Office?
The answer is yes, they do.
And for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that they can look really cool and save you a ton of money.
But there are a few things you need to know before you buy some for your home office.
One of the main benefits of using LED lights is that they cost substantially less than traditional incandescent bulbs to operate.
You’re also going to get a lot longer lifespan from these bulbs. They typically have a lifespan of 50,000 hours compared to only 2,500 hours with traditional incandescent bulbs (depending on how much you use them).
In addition, LED lights don’t generate hardly any heat during normal operation.
They’re also going be able to give off a better-looking light spectrum than traditional incandescents and when you’re using smart LEDs like Philips Hue lights, you can pair them with your phone and other smart devices in your office.
Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance 2-Pack A19 LED Smart Bulb, Bluetooth & Zigbee compatible (Hue Hub Optional), Works with Alexa & Google Assistant – A Certified for Humans Device
- Simple to Get Started; Set the mood with 16 million colors. Control your Philips Hue Smart Lights all with just the touch of a button on your mobile device or your favorite voice assistant. Add up to 10 Hue Bluetooth/Zigbee smart bulbs with the (free) Hue Bluetooth app. When ready to connect a voice assistant, just go to Settings > Add voice assistant in the Hue App.
- Lifetime: 22 years or 25,000 lifetime hours (based on industry average usage), Energy Star Certified
So if you want to create a warm, inviting environment for yourself at work, then LEDs will definitely be the way to go.
LED Lighting Helps Improve Productivity
LED lights are better lights for your home office because they’re much closer to real light than traditional incandescent bulbs.
Harsh fluorescent light and old fashioned incandescent bulbs are much harder on the eyes and can cause headaches, eye strain, and even migraines.
Old school office lighting diminishes productivity, and since this is your home office, we definitely do not want to put obstacles in our own way by going the cheap route with our office lighting.
LED Lights Provide Great Ambient Atmosphere
The variety of really amazing LED lighting products now available on the market make it easy for you to create the perfect environment for your home office.
You can use LED lights to add a warm glow to your home office, and create a great feel by using accent lights.
This type of lighting is great for creating an atmosphere that’s conducive to creativity and concentration.
It also makes reading or working at night easier as well because they can adjust to the color of light that’s best suited to your working style.
LED Lighting Is Great For Video Work
If you’re shooting YouTube videos, or just getting on a variety of conference calls throughout your day, LED lights are a great option.
High-quality light sources for your video work are essential if you want to get the most out of your camera equipment.
LED lights are very bright, so you don’t have to worry about having to turn up the volume on your microphone.
They also provide a nice soft ambient glow that will help you focus during long periods of time spent in front of your computer screen.
Smart LED Lights Are The Best
Need to adjust the color temperature on your phone? No problem. Need to change the color? Done.
Smart LED lights are incredibly versatile, and you’ll be able to control them from anywhere in your house.
With smart LED lights, you can set timers, dimmers, and more. You can even program them to automatically switch off when there’s no activity.
The ability to control your lighting in your office with your phone or other smart speaker device will make you wonder how you ever lived without smart LED lights in your office!
LED Lights Are Easy To Install And Use
One of the biggest benefits of LED lighting is how simple they are to install and operate.They can be used in virtually any application from accent lights on your desk, to a desk lamp to a traditional style light bulb that can go into any standard lamp.
There’s no complicated wiring required, and you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of these energy efficient lights immediately.
Speaking of energy efficiency…
LED Lights Are Energy Efficient
LED lighting does not require anywhere near as much maintenance or electricity because they work on much lower voltage. An LED light bulb uses substantially less power than traditional incandescent bulbs, but it’s still bright enough to illuminate the room.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, LED lights use at least 75% less energy than incandescent lighting.
Who doesn’t love a lower power bill?!?
LED Lights Are Built Tough
The fragility you’re used to when it comes to traditional lighting is out the door when it comes to LED lights.
Since there is nothing in an LED light that’s illuminated incandescently there are not small delicate structures that are as easily broken as traditional incandescent bulbs are.
LED lights use a small semiconductor that illuminate when power is passed through it, resulting in bright light.
This sturdier, tougher construction makes them a great choice for areas where you need to protect against potential accidents like children playing around, pets knocking things over, or heavy objects falling onto your floor.
LED Bulbs A Substantially Longer Lifespan
LEDs have a longer life span than other types of lighting too. Incandescent bulbs may last a year or so, but LED lights can last up to 30 times longer than an incandescent light, and 3-5 times longer than a compact fluorescent light.
As a side note, I’ve just installed some lighting in my house where the claim from the manufacturer is that they should last more than 35 years before needing to be changed out.
LED Lighting Produces Much Less Heat
Traditional desk lamps look great but produce a lot of heat when you use them with regular bulbs. That’s not the case with LED bulbs.
Traditional incandescent bulbs waste an enormous amount of their energy as heat – roughly 95% according to this study.
LED bulbs on the other hand, have a much lower operating temperature and are much more energy efficient.
LED Lighting Can Help Support Your Circadian Rhythms
Artificial lighting can be really harmful to your health. I’m sure you’ve heard or read about the dangers of exposure to blue light at night time by looking at your phone in bed (it’s a bad idea – don’t do it!).
It can disrupt your natural biological processes and throw off your sleep cycles (circadian rhythms).
Getting the appropriate color temperature in place by using LED lights for your daytime work in your home office will help make sure that your biological clock stays on the proper schedule.
LED Lighting Is Environmentally Friendly
If you haven’t already noticed, the factors we’ve discussed so far, when combined make for a much more environmentally friendly product.
Not only are the energy conservation aspects awesome, there are no toxic elements to be disposed of like there are in other types of lighting, and LEDs require very little maintenance.
In fact, since there’s no filament inside the bulb, there’s no need to change the bulb every few months like you would with a traditional incandescent bulb.
There are many different styles of LED lighting available today, including:
- Power & Energy-saving: The LED floodlights can produce up to 10000lm brightness; Save more than 80% electricity, It’s much lower consumption comparing with traditional halogen outdoor lamps, no longer worry about high electricity costs.
- Durable Material Longer Lifespan: This flood light outside is made up of premium Die-cast Aluminum black which has an good heat dissipation. Besides, it is more durable and provides you up to 30,000+ hours of lifespan.
- Upgrade Outdoor Color-Changing Landscape Lighting Led Light — RGB LED pathway lights with 22 modes 20 color, manipulated by RF remote control, its signal won’t be affected by obstacles; 4 pack 12W COB RGB LED Light, 800 Lumens per one, best for illuminating and decorating Patio Lawn Garden Pathway Back Yard Fences, Sidewalk Driveway; excellent Security Light and Decoration Light. (lights’ color can’t be set to different colors at the same time)
- Ceiling fixtures
- 【Stylish and Slim Design】 This ultra bright flush LED ceiling light is only 0.94 inches thick, it won’t look awkward or affect the decoration. The flat-mounted ceiling lamps have a smooth surface and no bulge, making them suitable for a variety of decorative styles.
- 【Bright but protect your eyes】 High quality LED chips provide a large amount of uniform, no flickering light up to 3200 Lm, it is much brighter than most of other ceiling lights in this size. Keep your eyes free of glare and glare for your everyday use.
- Wall sconces
- 3 Color Switch – One wall lamp with multiple enjoyments,through the power switch on/off to change the Color temperature,to meet the needs of various lighting color temperature,bright-natural-warm,any scene can be switched,whether white or yellow white 360°soft lighting can bring you the same comfort and ease.
- Fashion Creative Design – The wall sconce Light using modern simple design,surface paint treatment,more attractive andtextured,and not easy to oxidation,do not fade.Intelligent high-quality LED chip with silicone cover,light more uniform and durable,more extensive more softer,to protect eyesight.
- Desk lamps
- This led table lamp adopts a professional optical structure and high quality led elements, which ensure a stable light source and vibrant rgb colors with flicker free illumination and long service time
- With dimmable whites and up to 16 million of colors, this rgbw lamp offers a wide variety of options to meet different needs; it’s perfect as a nightstand lamp, baby nursery light, relaxing lamp, romantic atmosphere light etc
GLORIOUS-LITE 2 Pack 100W LED Flood Light Outdoor, 10000LM LED Work Light with Plug, 5000K Daylight White, IP66 Waterproof Outdoor Floodlights for Yard, Garden, Playground
COVOART Color Changing LED Landscape Lights 12W Landscape Lighting IP66 Waterproof LED Garden Pathway Lights Walls Trees Outdoor Spotlights with Spike Stand, Outdoor Landscaping Lights, 4 Pack
LED Flush Mount Ceiling Light Fixture, 5000K Daylight White, 3200LM, 12 Inch 24W, Flat Modern Round Lighting Fixture, 240W Equivalent White Ceiling Lamp for Kitchens, Stairwells, Bedrooms.etc.
Plum Flower Modern LED Wall Sconce Light,3CCT Warm/Nature/Cool White Arbitrary Switching,AC85~265V,15W,Indoor Night Lamp for Living Room Bedroom Bathroom Corridor Balcony Stairs Path Patio Porch
LED Table Lamp, HUGOAI Bedside Lamp, Nightstand Lamps for Bedrooms with Dimmable Whites, Vibrant RGB Colors and Memory Function, No Flicker, Grey
Daylight Is Ideal
Natural sunlight is a great source of vitamin D which helps keep us healthy.
It’s also a great source of Vitamin A which keeps our skin looking young and vibrant.
The best way to get more natural sunlight into your home office is by using an outdoor window that has a view of nature.
But not all offices get great light, and some don’t even get any natural light at all.
So we need something that’s going to get us as close as we can get without having to carve a hole through our roof and LED lighting will do that.
Want to join others who are creating the most amazing home offices and get more tips, tricks and hacks on how to make your home office the best it can be?
Join my brand new free private Facebook group, Home Office Hacks to connect with other home office hackers to make your space the best!