Best Desks For Programmers in 2023
Coders, developers, programmers & software engineers all have unique needs when it comes to their desk & workspace. Here are the best options.
Last updated on December 12, 2022
Programmers spend long hours constantly hunching forward while working over a computer. Your body feels the pain when you are in a sort of unnatural position (hunched shoulders, neck cranks forward, back is bent out of shape), spending 40+ hours a week coding. Those knots in your neck, pain in your spine and cranky hips take a toll on your overall mental and physical well-being.
Fortunately, you can help yourself with an ergonomic workstation. A good desk setup enables you to work safely and comfortably, reduces work pressure, and boosts productivity.
When you're working on your home office setup and thinking about what you need for your desk setup as a programmer, there are some things that you should consider.
In this post, I'm covering the best desks for programmers that will be the best fit for your home office space, , set you up for success and enhance your focus and productivity so you can dial in on getting important work done.
UPLIFT V2 STANDING DESK
- Chosen “Best Standing Desk” by Wirecutter from 2019-2022″
- Natural, high-quality, 1″-thick solid bamboo desktop is sturdy, attractive, environmentally friendly, and includes two wire management covers
IKEA'S SIT/STAND DESK
Products with electrical plugs are designed for use in the US. Outlets and voltage differ internationally and this product may require an adapter or converter for use in your destination.
JARVIS BAMBOO STANDING DESK
EASILY ADJUSTABLE: Award winning sit stand adjustable desk frame easily adjusts from 25.5″ to 50.7″ (including desktop) with 350 lb lifting capacity, fits people 5’4″ to 7′ tall
- An ergonomic desk is vital for programmers because it promotes neck and back alignment and hamstring flexibility to spend long hours coding.
- Height adjustability, a flat smooth surface, sufficient space under the desk and a scalloped edge are some features of an ergonomic developer desk.
- An electric standing desk and L-shaped desks are the most popular and best desks for programmers in 2023.
How to choose the best desk for a programmer
What features should you be looking for when you're looking for a new home office desk to use in your development work? What is the best option?
Plenty of space
A great programmer desk should provide enough room for storage, a comfortable height adjustment system, and a cable management system. A well-designed desk will also include a place where you can hide cords and cables. But what if you need to find a desk that will fit into small spaces? There are plenty of options available that have narrow widths, but still give you enough space to get your work done.
Sit stand adjustability
The best desks for programmers need to offer a proper height adjustment system. The best standing desks use electric motors to raise and lower the desktop surface so you can go from a sitting position to a standing position with the push of a button.
The right kind of storage
Even though programmers spend an enormous amount of hours at their desk, they still need space for storage. Look for a desk that comes with drawers, cabinets, shelves, etc., so you can keep your workstation organized.
A way to manage cords and cables via grommets
Make sure that your new desk has a cable management system. Cables and wires can easily become tangled and cause frustration. Having a cable management system helps prevent this problem.
You may not think that you need a cable management system, but you probably do. Most modern computers come with multiple USB ports, Ethernet jacks, HDMI connections, and power outlets. All of these devices require cables, and they tend to tangle easily and quickly. Cable management systems help organize these cables and keep them out of sight.
A cable management system
A cable management system is different than a desk that is simply equipped with grommets. While you are searching for a coder desk, don't forget to look for a cable manager system. These days, many computer manufacturers include a cable management system with their desktops. However, if yours does not, you can purchase one separately.
The right kind of desktop surface
There are lots of options available when it comes to desktops. You'll find everything from traditional solid wood desktops to minimalist design modern glass surfaces. There are several factors to consider, including price, durability, ease of cleaning, and overall quality.
The right kind of desk top is important because it will affect what you can mount onto it using clamping device, if you're interested in having a built-in mouse pad, whether or not you want something that is stain resistant, or you are interested in having an exotic natural solid wood top.
A coder desk that is ergonomic
Last but by no means least, is that for programmers, it's vital that you get a desk that's ergonomic. An ergonomic workstation ensures alignment which means putting the least amount of stress on your body. When your knees and hips are level, your wrists are straight, your hands at or beneath your elbows, and your computer screen is at your eye level, it means your body follows ergonomic alignment and you are in a comfortable position to do long hours of coding. Thus, an ergonomic workstation should have an ergonomic chair, a good light source, a keyboard tray, and a comfortable desk.
Why do you need an ergonomic desk for programming?
For the longest time, I didn't have an ergonomic desk myself and I was physically miserable at my desk. I'd have to get up, stretch, move around, take pain medication to deal with the aches, and more.
What this meant was that my mind was on things other than my work - and that killed my productivity and effectiveness. And as a developer you know how important it is to stay in the zone when you're cranking out work. If you break that focus, it can take you a long time to get back on track and you've lost that inspiration that you may have had when you were in the zone.
I just needed to be able to stand so I wouldn't be so uncomfortable, while not breaking my workflow. I'm very average height, so the distance the desk needs to travel from minimum height to maximum height really isn't all that much, so the best choice for me was something that could adjust to different heights, had a large surface area for my multiple monitor setup, something with a sturdy metal frame and was wide enough to hold everything I need.
As a programmer, your desk is the portal to your daily errands - every line of code you write, CSS you minify or any updates you execute, everything is done at your desk in front of your big screen monitor on your computer.
According to Statista, nearly 75% of developers spend 40 hours at their workstations in a week. Therefore, your computer desk should be ergonomic enough to handle the work capacity your field demands without affecting your health and productivity. It should be aligned with your posture to avoid neck and back crib. Because correct sitting posture has a positive impact on neck and back alignment and hamstring flexibility.
What features make a programmer's desk ergonomic?
An ergonomic developer desk should allow adequate height, depth, and work surface. It should have the following features:
- A flat smooth surface so that keyboard, monitor, and mouse does not compromise your posture and vision.
- Wide and sturdy enough to keep you organized with your entire setup leaving extra space for notes, peripherals, and other desk accessories.
- The angle between the forearm and upper arm must be between 90 - 110 degrees.
- A suitable height ( 680-720 mm from the surface of the desk to the floor) so that your feet rest comfortably on the ground, a hip flexion angle is between 90-115 degrees, and a knee flexion angle is 90-120 degrees.
- A sufficient space under the desk so you can comfortably stretch your legs and place a footrest for extra support.
- Height adjustable desk that can be raised (to at least 1100 mm) or lowered without any disruption to the placement of monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
- Scalloped desk(that has a shallow curve cut out at the center) to provide better work posture when using multiple screens. There is growing evidence that scalloped desks are the most ergonomic type of office desks because they provide better forearm support and more desktop space within acceptable reach zones.
Examples of scalloped desks
Why Trust Home Office Hacks
The recommendations and evaluations made on Home Office Hacks are based on hands-on testing, expert input, extensive research on ratings from actual buyers, and most importantly our own experience. We strive to deliver genuine, accurate, and authentic recommendations to help you select the best option for your situation.
|Features||Uplift V2 Standing Desk||IKEA’s sit/stand electric desk||Jarvis Bamboo standing Desk||Smart Desk Pro by Autonomous||Casa Optima L-shaped Desk|
|Height adjustability||automatic||electric manual||automatic||Stable desk. Only the monitor shelf can be moved according to your desired visual level.|
|Height range||22-inch to 48-inch||3 height range options (2-stage: 29-inch to 48.3-inch, 3-stage: 24.5-inch to 50-inch and 3-stage low: 21.9-inch to 42.2-inch)||26.2-inch to 52-inch||30.4-inch desk height|
|Desk surface||Desk surface for only one screen and other hardware components||Slightly less space (two monitors can create mess)||Slightly less space (two monitors can create mess)||Maximum surface area for two monitors and other essentials|
|Space (surrounding)||Low footprint||Relatively large footprint||Large footprint with length range between 40-inch and 73-inch||Wider feet area|
|Aesthetic appeal||Classic||Chic, modern design||Classic finishes||Contemporary|
|Lifting Capacity||150 lbs. max.||350 lbs.||310 lbs.||150 - 275 lbs.|
Top choices for the best affordable desks for programmers in 2023
1. Uplift V2 Standing Desk
My top pick for the best desks for coders and programmers is the Uplift V2 Standing Desk.
This height-adjustable desk is great for programmers who spend most of their day sitting at a computer. It's available in a wide variety of different sizes, making it a great choice for any workspace. It comes with sturdy, dependable and long lasting components, including powerful and quiet lifting motors.
In addition there are a variety of different desktop surfaces available - different types of woods and different colors.
For those who spend most of their days sitting at a computer, a standing desk is a must-have item. Uplift V2 stands up to heavy loads and is made of strong materials that won't break down after years of use. It's also very stable and doesn't wobble or move during use.
Powerful and quiet lifting motors make it easy to adjust the height of the desk without using your hands. You can easily raise the desk to a comfortable working position, lower it to a storage position, or simply leave it where it is if you prefer.
A standing desk is a great investment for anyone who spends most of his/her time sitting at a computer.
Quick facts: Uplift V2 Standing Desk
- Chosen "Best Standing Desk" by Wirecutter from 2019-2022"
- Natural, high-quality, 1"-thick solid bamboo desktop is sturdy, attractive, environmentally friendly, and includes two wire management covers
- 355-lb lifting capacity with 3-stage legs; dual motors for faster, quieter, and smoother movement than other desks; frame includes a wire management tray
IKEA's sit/stand desk (height adjustable electric desk)
Studies have linked sitting a lot to terrible health problems like increased blood pressure, spine damage, etc. Adjustable standing desks eliminate the risks of extended sitting and keep you on your feet for more time.
So, if you are a developer who likes to shift between sitting and standing in the middle of work, get yourself IKEA's electric sit/stand desk (BEKANT). It’s an absolute adjustable desk for programming that goes up and down with the push of a button to ergonomically adjust the desk for your posture.
This sturdy desk has a generous work surface and grommets to keep cords in place underneath. Its contoured table top offers wrist and forearm support so you can work and feel better. When you’re standing, ensure to put an anti-fatigue mat under your feet to minimize aches and pains.
And one of the best options of all is that it's a great value and very really budget friendly.
Quick facts: IKEA's sit/stand desk (height adjustable electric desk)
Products with electrical plugs are designed for use in the US. Outlets and voltage differ internationally and this product may require an adapter or converter for use in your destination. Please check compatibility before purchasing.
Jarvis bamboo standing desk (electric manual height adjustment)
Jarvis is another thoughtfully designed traditional desk for programmers that has everything you could ever want. The desk material is built from sustainable bamboo, has a sleek minimalist look and expert-approved ergonomic setup. Moreover, it’s extremely sturdy with 350 lbs. lifting capacity, has 3 height range options, and an up-down toggle handset for natural arm motion. Adjust it quickly to fit your work needs and enjoy both side-to-side and front-to-back stability through its strengthening gussets and a foot-to-leg connection to avoid straining your joints and reduce the risk of carpal tunnel. It has a 26-inch adjustment range with a 1.52-inch per second adjustment speed and 350 lbs. lifting capacity.
Quick facts: Jarvis bamboo standing desk (electric manual height adjustment)
- EASILY ADJUSTABLE: Award winning sit stand adjustable desk frame easily adjusts from 25.5" to 50.7" (including desktop) with 350 lb lifting capacity, fits people 5'4" to 7' tall
- PROGRAMMABLE, FAST, QUIET, ELECTRIC LIFT: Easy to read handset with 4 customizable memory presets for quick 1.5" per second height adjustment with industry leading warranty
- QUALITY, DURABLE and SUSTAINABLE MATERIALS: Our eco-friendly solid-slab (no seams) Techwood veneer desktop has a smooth surface that is uniform in color with all the warmth and elegance of wood, without its natural irregularities and defects, and includes 2 desktop grommets to organize cords
Smart Desk Pro by Autonomous
The Smart Desk Pro by Autonomous is the game changer when it comes to electric sit/stand desks. It’s the people’s choice, designed for those who don’t settle for less and want to be more productive and focused at work. You’ll love its versatility because it can fit to your desired optimal height, thanks to its impressive height range from 26-inch all the way up to 52-inch. Moreover, it has an electric dual motor with 4 programmable settings and can lift up to 310 lbs. - ideal for regular or XL monitors. And how could you ignore its rock solid stability? You can confidently move it to lofty heights - it won’t wobble.
Quick facts: Smart Desk Pro by Autonomous
- A HEALTHIER WAY TO work: Autonomous Standing desk was designed to make both standing and sitting a natural Part of your day. Standing encourages movement, which is key to maintaining healthy circulation and focus.
- Working at Autonomous Smart sit-to-stand desk allows you to bring renewed zeal, energy and life to your task by activating more of your body and mind in an upright posture.
- A workplace that embodies energy and dynamism with the Electric hybrid Dual motor Standing desk.
Casaottima L-shaped desks for programmers
The Casaottima L-shaped desk is an ideal corner desk that offers a maximum surface area for programmers who want a beautiful desk setup. It has the most solid steel frame made with precision cut engineering and leveling studs on the feet to offer extra stability on an uneven floor. With a flexible monitor stand and iron hook to extend the desk space, creative cable management to hide nasty cables, and sufficient area for dual monitors, it's such a steal.
Quick facts: Casaottima L-shaped desks for programmers
- [Easy to Assemble]: The desk comes with an easy understanding instruction and all tools. Assembling the desk will be simple and fast. If that doesn' t work out, we have 24/7 service for your assistance.
- [Spacious Working Space]：This L Shaped desk is equipped with a monitor stand and an iron hook to extend the desktop space. You will enjoy a spacious operating space for studying, working and Gaming.
- [Multifunctional] : This desk is designed for mutiple uses such as working, studying or gaming. The monitor shelf can be moved according to your needs. The iron hook can be installed either on the left or right.
A desk for programming that’s too tall for your height can cause pain in the neck, shoulders, back, legs, and elsewhere. That’s why it’s advisable to buy adjustable standing desk for programmers so you can work comfortably, even over long stints. But don’t forget to take breaks and move every hour. If you feel your legs are restless, stand up for half an hour, if you feel tired, stand up for 10 minutes, and if you feel your posture is failing, stand up straight.