Humans have been sitting in cross-legged positions for millenia.
For thousands and thousands of years we’ve been sitting cross-legged, squatting, sitting on our knees and other forms.
This cross-legged seated position has a variety of different names in different cultures. It’s called:
- Indian style sitting
- Turkish style sitting
- Yangban style sitting
- Sukhasana style sitting
And there are variations like the lotus position in yoga that are widely popular as well.
My daughter’s kindergarten teacher called it sitting “criss-cross apple sauce” when she was in kindergarten.
Here’s the bottom line:
It’s a very natural way of sitting.
And if you haven’t guessed by now, the way we sit at our desks, whether working from home or in a traditional office, is not very natural at all, often results in bad posture and the way we sit in a regular traditional office chair causes all kinds of problems for our health.
Our modern office setup and configuration isn’t set up for us to sit this way though.
And we pay for it with aches and pains that can lead to even more serious health issues.
So what do we do?
The good news is that you actually can sit cross-legged at your desk.
We’re going to talk about the benefits of sitting cross-legged, how you can do it in your home office, and what kind of options you have when you choosing an office chair so you can sit cross-legged in your office at home.
Real quick, before we get too far into it here, if you want to get more great ideas for your gaming room or home office and want to connect with other home office hackers to make your space the best join my free private Facebook group, Home Office Hacks here.
The Benefits Of Sitting In A Cross-legged Office Chair
When most people think of office chairs, the first thing that comes to mind is a chair with a straight back and four legs. However, there are now a number of alternative office chair designs on the market, including the cross-legged office chair. So what are the benefits of sitting in a cross-legged office chair?
Before we get into the different styles and types of chairs you can use to sit cross-legged at your desk, let’s talk about the benefits of sitting in this position.
Sitting In A Cross-legged Office Chair Can Help Improve Your Posture And Spine Alignment
Let’s face it: sitting in regular chairs all day is not the most natural thing in the world. We were meant to move around, not sit still for hours on end.
But since most of us have desk jobs, we need to find ways to make sitting a little bit more bearable. One way to do this is by sitting in a cross-legged office chair.
This may sound impossible, but it’s actually quite comfortable once you get used to it. Plus, it has some great benefits for your posture and spine alignment.
Cross-legged office chairs allow you to sit upright without having to lean forward or backward which puts less pressure on your lower back.
Sitting In A Cross-legged Chair Is Good For Your Knees & Joints
Traditional office chairs don’t allow you to sit cross-legged, which means they put pressure on your knees and joints. That’s why many people experience knee pain after long days spent sitting in front of their computer.
However, when you sit with your legs crossed, it takes the pressure off of your knees and allows them to move more freely.
Additionally, sitting in a cross-legged position can help to improve circulation and reduce swelling in the legs. So, if you’re looking for a way to improve your joint health, try sitting in a cross-legged chair. You may just find that it does wonders for your knees and joints.
Sitting Cross-Legged Is A Great Way To Stretch
Sitting cross-legged is a great way to stretch your muscles and improve your flexibility. It also helps to improve your circulation and can even relieve back pain. However, sitting cross-legged is not always easy, especially if you’re not used to it.
As a result, sitting cross-legged can be an effective way to reduce back pain. Furthermore, it is a sitting position that can be done anywhere, whether you’re sitting in your home office at your desk, or sitting on the floor in your living room, making it convenient for people who suffer from back pain.
Sitting Cross-Legged Is Also Claimed To Provide Relief From Back Pain
The sitting position helps to take pressure off of the spine and relieves pressure on the nerves.
If you suffer from chronic back pain, you should consider trying out a cross-legged office seat as an option for relief.
You’ll be surprised how much better your back feels when you stop slouching and start sitting up straight.
A lot of people who work at computers spend a lot of time sitting down. If you’re one of those people, then you know how uncomfortable it can be to sit in a traditional office chair.
Sitting Cross-Legged On The Floor
Sitting cross-legged on the floor is often seen as a casual, comfortable position. However, this relaxed posture actually has a number of benefits.
First, sitting cross-legged helps to improve your posture by aligning your spine and shoulders.
Second, it can help to increase circulation by sitting up straight and keeping your legs from getting cramped.
Third, sitting cross-legged helps you to focus and concentrate by keeping your body still and eliminating distractions.
When you’re seated on the floor you don’t have to worry about weight capacity or anything like that. You’ve got full freedom of movement and can dictate your own level of comfort.
So the next time you’re looking for a comfortable way to relax, try sitting cross-legged on the floor. You may be surprised at how beneficial it can be.
Here’s the good news:
Since so many of us work from home these days, you have a choice where and how you sit.
Sitting cross-legged on the floor while working on your laptop is a great alternative to sitting at your desk all day and a much more physiologically normal way of sitting as humans have used a variety of cross-legged, squatting, kneeling seating positions since the beginning of time.
If you’re looking for a comfortable way to relax while working, get away from your desk and try sitting cross-legged on the floor. You may be surprised at how beneficial it can be.
Sitting In A Cross-Legged Office Chair
If your body size is small enough, you can probably sit in a regular-sized office chair while sitting cross-legged without much problem.
However, for most people, sitting cross-legged in a regular office chair is uncomfortable and can even be dangerous if not done correctly.
A better option is to get an office chair designed for sitting cross-legged.
So What Is The Best Cross-Legged Desk Chair?
The best cross-legged desk chair is the one that allows you to sit in a comfortable position while working at your desk. This type of chair is perfect for those who want to avoid sitting in a traditional chair with their back and shoulders hunched forward. sitting in a cross-legged position helps to open up your hips and pelvis, which can improve your posture.
Here is a variety of different styles of cross-legged and kneeling office chair designs that are available that you can get for your home office.
Our Pick: Yiuhhad Cross-Legged Desk Chair
This cross-legged desk chair features two layers of seats that can be adjusted to your desired height, making it perfect for both cross-legged and kneeling positions. Radically different than a regular office chair, this cross-legged chair is made of upgraded leather that is flexible and comfortable and can support up to 300 lbs.
The Yiuhhad Cross Legged Office Chair allows you to sit cross-legged at your office desk, allowing you to do what you want while in a more comfortable position.
The ergonomically designed sitting posture correction chair not only satisfies the replacement of sitting posture but also copes with different work in a more relaxed way. In addition, it can be used for yoga practitioners and meditation lovers as well.
No products found.
Alexia Meditation Chair: Our pick for sitting on the floor
The Alexia Meditation Chair is a unique and innovative piece of furniture that provides support for the entire body and is especially good if you want to spend some time seated of the floor while working. The chair’s lower back column, ischial junction node, knees, instep, and feet are all supported, making it the perfect choice for anyone looking for relief from pain or discomfort. The chair’s seat is made from neoprene foam and is covered in fabric. It is lightweight and easy to transport, making it perfect for use at home or on the go.
Alexia Meditation Seat Ergonimically Correct for The Human Physiology Zen Yoga Ergonomic Chair Foam Cushion Home or Office (Dove Grey Fabric)
- Body Supports: Lower Back Column – Ischial Junction Node – knees – instep – feet
- Seat Support: Internal Metallic Skeleton Structured
NYPOT Ergonomic Kneeling Chair
Looking for an ergonomic chair that fits your height? The NYPOT Ergonomic Kneeling Chair has adjustable cushioning so you can sit comfortably, regardless of your height and will allow you to sit cross-legged or gently reset your body weight on your knees. Made with a sturdy wood frame and adjustable seat pads, this posture correcting chair is designed to support your muscles and alleviate backaches.
NYPOT Ergonomic Kneeling Chair – Adjustable Rocking Knee Chair Posture Chair – Wooden Office Chair for Back Pain Relief – Kneeling Stool and Angled Chair – Small Chair, Desk Chair for Home and Office
- ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT – Now the work from home chair has adjustable cushion. No need to worry if it will fit your height . Tall or short, the ergonomic standing chair will assure a comfortable kneel sitting. With the adjustable seat pads this posture chair has a ergonomic design that supports muscles and relax backaches through alignment correction.
- DURABILITY & MULTIFUNCTIONAL – Easy to put together, NYPOT kneeling desk chair for back pain it’s made to last. With a sturdy wood frame, supporting up to 250lb, this posture correcting chair is constructed of durable wood and thick sponge cushion that will not collapse after long-time sitting. Sit now on both sides of the chair. Whenever you want to change positions, alter the stopper on and turn the chair around to use it as a stool and rest.
H&A Cross-Legged Kneeling Chair
The H&A Cross-Legged Desk Chair is a new cross-legged chair with ergonomic design, which can change your seating posture. The adjustable height function allows you to adjust the seat and backrest as you like. The knee pads are made of high-quality silicone that provides maximum comfort for your knees and prevents sliding. The backrest is designed in such a way that it supports the natural curve of your spine when sitting upright, thus reducing pressure on the lower back and making it more comfortable to sit for longer periods of time.
H&A Cross-Legged kneeing Chair for Office or Home, Meditation Seat for Reducing Back Pain, Ergonomic Posture Corrective Seat with Height Adjustable (Black), 26.5 inch x 23.5 inch
- 【Change Sng Posure】:Our medaon char allows you o s n a varey of dfferen posons such as cross-legged, squang, kneelng, and counless ohersI can keep your spne n an ergonomcally comforable poson Super comforable for compuer work, ypng or gamng
- 【Hegh Adjusable】:You can adjus he posure char o he hegh ha sus you The hegh ranges from 225″ o 26″, allowng you o fnd he perfec posonThe kneelng syle char posons you wh an open hp angle ha encourages an uprgh, sragh posure Ths gves you naural, correc algnmen n your back, shoulders and neck whle sng
MediChair Kneeling Chair
MediChair is a premium quality kneeling chair that has been designed to provide you with the best possible comfort. It’s a must-have for any man or woman who wants to keep their back healthy, as well as enjoy a greater level of mobility and flexibility when sitting in front of their computer.
Made with a durable, sturdy design, ensuring perfect alignment and enhanced mobility, this ergonomic office chair will surprise with its versatility and functionality!
Topay Cross-Legged Kneeling Chair
The Topay Cross-Legged kneeing Chair is the perfect companion for your work desk! Not only can it give you a comfortable place to sit, but this adjustable chair also allows you to change your posture as needed. The 2-level design allows you to sit on the knees, cross-legged, or with folded legs. You can alter your posture to feel more relaxed while working for long hours. Both platforms have adjustable height features and the lower platform is adjustable from 16″ to 20″ high and the upper platform can be raised an additional 6″ from the lower one.
Topay Cross-Legged kneeing Chair for Yoga Lovers, Fitness Fanatics and Those with Back or Leg Pains (Black)
- 2-level design allows you to sit on the knees, cross-legged, or with folded legs, you can alter your posture to feel more relaxed while working for long hours
- Both platforms are height adjustable, the lower platform is adjustable from 16″ to 20″ high, while the upper platform can be raised an additional 6″ from the lower one
VIVO Ergonomic Kneeling Chair
This ergonomic kneeling chair with back support is perfect for anyone who wants the posture benefits of standing and the relief of sitting all in one. It has a mesh three-inch thick cushion to ensure excellent support, four casters (wheels) so you have the freedom to move, and is height adjustable to fit a variety of users. This posture chair has a functional design that gives you the posture benefits of standing and the relief of sitting all in one.
DRAGONN by VIVO Ergonomic Kneeling Chair with Back Support, Adjustable Stool for Home and Office with Angled Seat for Better Posture – Thick Comfortable Cushions, Black, DN-CH-K02B
- Ergonomic Kneeling Chair – We’ve got your back (and your knees, shins, and your behind!) Your ergonomic kneeling chair with back support is equipped with a mesh three-inch thick cushion to ensure excellent support. It features 4 casters (wheels) so you have the freedom to move – just like your old office chair! PLEASE NOTE: You will use different muscles in a kneeling chair, so it’s best to acclimate yourself when first using or switch positions throughout the day.
- Better Posture While Tilted – There is no reason to hunch over your keyboard or desk for hours on end anymore. This posture chair has a functional design that gives you the posture benefits of standing and the relief of sitting all in one. It will keep your back at an upright position, distributing your weight evenly throughout your buttocks and legs, all while keeping your spine aligned.
Seagrass Meditation Yoga Chair
The Seagrass Meditation Yoga Chair is the perfect chair to sit cross-legged comfortably while you work using a lap desk. Only remotely similar to a regular office chair in that it has 4 feet and a somewhat “regular” chair design structure, the chair design is curved to provide space for your feet and more support for your knees, making it perfect for sitting in any of the cross legged poses. You can also cross your ankles on the ground in front of the chair for variation. The frame is available in either Natural or Expresso, and the cushion is available in cream or olive. The cushion is 100% cotton.
- Dimensions: 31″ w x 29″ d x23″ h
- Seat height: 8″ WITH CUSHION
Predawn Ergonomic Office Chair
This ergonomic kneeling chair has a functional design that promotes better posture. It will keep your back upright, distributing weight capacity equally across your buttocks and legs while keeping your spine straight. It will also allow you to comfortably cross your legs white seated. The unique modern design and riding style can replace any traditional seat. You can use this knee chair as a desk chair, a meditation chair, a home office chair or typing chair.
Predawn Ergonomic Kneeling Chair for Upright Posture – Rocking Chair Knee Stool for Home, Office & Meditation – Wood & Linen Cushion – Relieving Back and Neck Pain & Improving Posture (White Oak)
- BETTER POSTURE – There is no reason to hunch over your keyboard or desk for hours on end anymore. This ergonomic kneeling chair has a functional design that promotes better posture.The angled kneeling chair will keep your back at an upright position, distributing your weight evenly throughout your buttocks and legs, all while keeping your spine aligned.
- MAXIMUM COMFORT – The unique modern design and riding style can replace any traditional seat. Maximum comfort for your back, knees, calves.
Pipersong Meditation Chair
The Pipersong Meditation Chair offers a variety of different sitting positions to help keep you active and flexible. The padded seat cushion and footstool are both made with high resilience, high density foam to provide extra comfort and support for long-duration sitting.
This chair is a radically different design than those employed in conventional office chairs.
The 360-degree swivel footstool is designed for you to enjoy the different special positions. You can always turn it aside and use it as a normal chair when you are not in the mood to casually sit or just want to sit as usual for a while.
With its unique crescent-shaped backrest, this chair provides support for your hips, feet, knees and ankles, and your lower back.
Pipersong Meditation Chair, Home Office Desk Chair, Cross Legged Chair with Lumbar Support and Adjustable Stool, Flexible Design for Fidgety Sitters, Tan
- UPGRADED VERSION: We’ve improved the height lever design and soften the seat cushion foam in order to bring you a better experience for long hours sitting.
- EXCLUSIVE PATENTED DESIGN – HOME OFFICE SOLUTION: As a revolutionary chair, it allows you to sit in a variety of different positions such as cross-legged, squatting, kneeling, and countless others. Perfect for home workers, yoga lovers, meditation fanatics and everyone who feel tired with ordinary fixed sitting positions and would like to break the boundary of those conventional office chairs.
Sleekform Austin Kneeling Ergonomic Office Chair
This ergonomic kneeling chair from Sleekform encourages an active upright posture, which helps to improve and correct posture. The open hip angle also lowers the risk of injury, making it the perfect chair for anyone 5’2″-6’6″. The 4” thick seat and memory foam knee cushions provide comfort, while the 3 wood cross bars and reinforced 20 ply birchwood construction ensure durability.
The heavy-duty ergo angled cushions provide maximum comfort and help to correct your posture so you can stop slouching over your desk.
- [REDUCE PAIN] The Austin positions you with an open hip angle that effortlessly encourages an active upright posture. Kneel position will align your back, shoulders and neck, lower risk of injury. Improves and corrects posture, reminds you to stop slouching.
- [DURABILITY] The Austin features a 4” thick seat and comfy memory foam knee cushions, 3 wood cross bars instead of one; and reinforced 20 ply instead of 14 ply birchwood for strength and durability.
Cinius Professional Ergonomic Wooden Height-Adjustable Kneeling Chair
This kneeling chair is an excellent option and perfect for a wide range of users. The seat is made of high quality upholstered with non-deformable soft padding with a stain-resistant fabric covering. The angled cushion encourages good posture which provides relief for your spine, it helps to maintain the correct position. The backrest mechanism is equipped with locking and unlocking feature by pushing the backrest towards the cushion where you sit. This chair also allows you to open up your hips to ease pressure on your lower back. The four-point base is made of incredibly sturdy, made of high-quality materials and is fitted with smooth-rolling heavy-duty casters.
CINIUS Professional Ergonomic Wooden Height-Adjustable Kneeling Chair with Backrest Support and Non-deformable Cushions. Beige
- MATERIALS – The seat is of high quality upholstered with NON-DEFORMABLE padding and very RESISTANT fabric covering. The paddings are shaped to provide a comfortable support. The wood used is of the rubber tree (RUBBER-WOOD), very resistant.
- HIGH QUALITY – Cinius branded wooden height adjustable ergonomic chair is a high quality product which should not be confused with other chairs with similar shape on the market at bargain prices, made of pine wood and with poor linings and paddings (easily deformable).
An ergonomic cross-legged office chair, as you can see, is a lot different than a standard office chair.
Sitting in a cross-legged position is great for your posture, which means you’ll be in a more natural position, strengthening your core muscles appropriately in a way that your body is more naturally adapted to make use of.
When you sit in a traditional desk chair, your spine can be constantly bent forward, which puts stress on your lower back and neck. By contrast, sitting in a cross leg position allows your spine to stay straight, which helps keep your muscles flexible and prevents injury.
And because you’re sitting upright, you won’t have to worry about straining your eyes or neck when you’re working on your computer. So whether you’re trying to slim down or just looking for a healthier lifestyle, sitting in a cross legged position is a great choice for just about everyone.
So whether you choose a chair that you can use to sit cross-legged on the floor, or one that will enable you to sit at a regular desk height, there are a variety of good reasons why you should consider getting yourself a cross-legged office chair.
Want to connect with other remote workers, contractors, freelancers, gamers and people who work from home who are creating the most amazing home offices and get more tips, tricks and hacks on how to make your home office or gaming room setup the best it can be?
Join my brand new free private Facebook group, Home Office Hacks to connect with other home office hackers to make your space the best!