Are you willing to work in a dark, gloomy corner of your house surrounded by bland walls? I’m guessing probably not.
A home office setup is your personal productivity kingdom. You can bring out the inner artist in you and go all in to create the best home office setup ever! When it comes to home office design ideas, the possibilities are endless. You can go for a minimalistic home office design with fitted furniture and a monochrome color scheme. Or perhaps add an accent wall in your bedroom and paint it yellow to invite creativity. The most important factor is that everything should flow in a cohesive way. Contemporary, Industrial, Scandinavian, Traditional, Rustic — the ideas are unlimited; what do you prefer?
Nathan Schultz, a senior executive at Chegg, reports that the productivity of his employees multiplied when he eased off during the first lockdown and allowed employees to work from home on their own terms. Surprisingly, projects were completed ahead of schedule, and workers even volunteered to take on new tasks.
Probably because the employees felt more comfortable sitting on their favorite chair in their preferred corner of the house. From the peripherals to the color on the walls, everything was of their liking.
There’s been a massive shift in the remote workforce. Almost everyone is working from home, which forces us to think about the best home office ideas.
We all know how boring and uninviting office buildings can be. Seeing those dull filing cabinets, tangled cords, and plain computer workstations at 9 in the morning is not that appealing. Maybe you wanted a full-sized poster of Messi behind the monitor, but your manager was a Ronaldo fan.
On the contrary, a home office is all you. It depicts all your tastes and preferences.
You want a super flashy gaming chair, go for it! You prefer a rustic brown wooden desk with a faux-leather chair; who’s stopping you? You can turn any small space, like your loft or attic, into your dream workstation.
Before you jump into the wagon of buying stuff for your home office, it’s important to note down what you are expecting from it.
Say you are an artist who relies on an endless stream of creativity and positive energy to design something; working in a dull minimalistic setup might not be your thing.
What’s the best layout for my home office design?
Do you want a large wooden desk in the middle of the room or an L-shaped industrial desk in one of the corners? Or perhaps you want to give the desk the most prominent view and enjoy the natural daylight.
Without further ado, here are some popular layouts for your home office design.
Home Office in a Bedroom
Not everyone has the option to dedicate a separate room for a home office setup. Many people just choose a spare wall in the bedroom and go for it.
But there’s a caveat: you are too close to your bed.
To keep relaxation and workspace separate, you can use a large screen or divider (like the Ikea Pax Room Divider or Coiled Wire Fabric Divider).
Closets can serve as storage space. You can also add a storage shelf beside your desk if there’s enough space. You can paint your home office wall with an entirely different color from the rest of the room.
I recommend going for blue as it promotes relaxation and productivity. It doesn’t just have to be plain blue; you can break it up into different colors and even go for patterns like a stone backsplash on the wall, or cheshire.
Home Office with a View
A home office doesn’t mean you have to trap yourself in a closet till the work is done.
A beautiful view out the window with natural light coming in can go a long way. HBR found that the absence of natural light and outdoor views hurts the employee experience.
And everyone has a window in their home where they just stare into the wilderness while having a nice cup of coffee. Why not position your desk near that window and enjoy the perks all day long?
A nice hack to increase natural light is to go for lighter, brighter interior wall and ceiling paints. The most obvious one would be white or eggshell matte, but you can go for any high gloss paint.
Direct sunlight can be a bit too much sometimes. You can include the Mix and Match Curtains from Bonzer to control the light and protect your privacy.
Home Office in the Dining Room
Dining rooms, if not used for formal dining often, are the best alternative to bedroom home office setup.
You can create a functional workspace with enough space to store all your equipment. Buffets, sideboards, or other existing dining storage can accommodate your work supplies.
If your partner doesn’t allow you to stuff the china cabinets with your files, you can install new file cabinets and wall file systems in a nook and keep all your supplies organized.
You can also repurpose the revolving spice rack to store small office supplies such as tacks, paperclips, and rubber bands.
The dining table itself can act as your worktable. You can use a specialized office chair but dining chairs—especially upholstered styles—also work fine. A seat cushion or lumbar pillow can really help with the ergonomics.
How can you add storage to your home office?
If most of your stuff is online and you only need moderate storage for some receipts and work files, a standard two-drawer letter-size file cabinet will be enough. The dimensions can go up for a two-drawer legal-size file cabinet and a Lateral file cabinet, but you’ll have much more storage space.
Use Wall Space for Storage
You can install shelves, attach mounting folders to the wall, fasten baskets of wire file organizers, or incorporate a pegboard. Another great option is to try open shelving.
You can place books, magazine holders, antiques, and other decorative items along with your work supplies.
Box shelves are also widespread these days. They have plenty of storage space and look great too. You can try out different wall-mounted storage options and see which matches the aesthetics of your home office.
Other Storage Options
Here are a few other storage options that you can incorporate into your home office layout:
- Storage Cabinets
- Desktop Organizer
- Storage Boxes
- Portable storage (rolling cabinet)
- Closet Storage
- Desk with Storage
All these options can save tons of space on your desk, help you declutter the whole home office setup, and boost productivity.
How to choose the right desk for your home office?
Here are a few questions that’ll help you choose the right desk for your home office:
- What do you do? Does your job require a lot of equipment and supplies?
- Do you work alone and have meetings over Zoom? Or do you meet people in person regularly?
- How much storage do you need? Do you have lots of files, receipts, and registers to deal with?
- Will any other member of the household share your home office setup? You’ll need a two-person desk or an extended built-in counter.
- How much free space do you have in your home office?
- What is the overall theme of your setup? You don’t want to go with a rustic wooden desk in a futuristic cyberpunk-styled setup.
- Are you a sitting desk fan or a standing desk admirer?
How to decorate your home office?
Decorating your home office space is more about designing a space that you admire and enjoy working in. What seemed like an arduous task in a commercial office building might be pretty easy to do in your own home office environment.
There are no hard and fast rules to design a home office. The only requirement is to maintain functionality while adding a personal touch to almost everything in your setup. Here are a few ways to decorate your home office:
Paint the walls
You deserve more than a bland metal desk surrounded by lifeless walls. You can get creative with paint, experiment with different colors and patterns. You need walls that kickstart your productivity engine.
For some, bright and cheery colors like yellow or orange works. Both these colors invoke imagination, creativity, and inspiration.
If you are a writer, graphic designer, artist, or anyone who needs that positive energy spike to do work, these bright colors will definitely help out.
You can get hold of a wall stencil and customize your DIY wall decor with your favorite combination of paint colors and wall stencil patterns. Stencil patterns range from basic geometric shapes to intricate Moroccan designs. You can also try a statement wall.
Another great design idea is to add a pop of shocking color while keeping the rest of the space neutral. This way, you have a minimalistic and contemporary look while having a jolt of bold color to jazz up the home office space.
Personalize the setup with your interests
This is your own house —no colleagues, no manager, no one! You can go all-in with your passions and flaunt your collection. Globes, maps, trophies, table lamps, artwork, and everything that energizes you can be on the shelves.
Here are a few things that you might like adding to your home office setup:
- Vintage bottles
- Accent lamps
- Luxe fabrics
- Vivid hues
- Taxidermized pheasant
- Mexican vase
- Stuffed animal
- Mixed metals and dark accent wall
- Wooden desk, leather chair
- Couch for relaxation
- Framed family photographs
- Travel souvenirs
- Metal bookcases
- Bold rugs
- Origami table lamps
- Foundation trays
- Tabletop clocks
- Marble bookends
- Wall calendar
- Bulletin boards
- Interactive video whiteboard
The list goes on and on!
Best Home Office Design Ideas
Minimalist Scandinavian Home Office
We found this on Pinterest that serves as a great example of a minimalist Scandinavian home office setup: Monochrome Scandinavian Home Office Inspiration
A Scandinavian home office setup uses basic colors like white, black, tan, and gray to offer a minimalistic look. These colors create a distraction-free environment that significantly boosts productivity. There are no funky patterns or pops of color in these Nordic-style home office setups.
The desk has a spotless and minimalistic design with strong yet clean lines. The whole vibe is subtle but yet so powerful in its own way. The gray chair has a contemporary look that perfectly aligns with the light-toned desk.
The white L-shaped desk indicates that there’s a strong emphasis on versatility and practicality. You can only see three colors, white, black, and grey. The large Mac screen perfectly matches the aesthetics. There are minimal wall pockets (one in black and one in white) attached to the wall behind the desk. A clean black tray with white vases, one of them having an indoor plant (maybe a Chinese Evergreen), sits on the right end of the table.
The monochromatic portraits create a focal point of the whole setup. There’s also a wall photo grid shelf with a portrait, calendar, and printed quote hanging on it. Four storage drawers can be seen above the table with a green Pothos and two windows on the top. There’s also a small circular minimalistic table with a classic mid-century Scandinavian chair for a toddler.
Here are a few other accessories you can add to a Scandinavian home office setup:
- Black/White floating shelves
- Black and white photography
- Black/White/Gray task lamp
- Monochrome vase
- Wishbone chair
- Fur-laden chairs
- Crop-ring mats
- Hanging glass lights
The best thing about a Scandinavian home office setup is that everything is so seamlessly cohesive that it seems unreal.
More Scandinavian Home Office Ideas:
Mid-Century Home Office
We found this on Pinterest that serves as a great example of a mid-century home office setup: Classic Mid-Century Home Office Inspiration
A mid-century home office depicts that good old retro vibe. A wooden desk in walnut, birch, or teak, modernist office chair with faux leather, and classic artwork from the 1950s and 1960s make up a rustic mid-century home office.
The desk is the centerpiece of this setup. The warm brown tone of poplar combined with metallic gray legs gives the entire setup a completely different personality.
Everything on the desk itself adds to the charms of the setup. From the tall and handsome plant to the minimal round table lamp, everything is in perfect harmony.
It doesn’t always have to be a shade of brown. You can also experiment with orange, mustard yellow, tan, and teal. The design ideas are endless with these color combos.
The chair, how can we forget the chair! It is a perfect blend of contemporary furniture design and wooden magic. It has a gray cushion seat with Early American armrests.
The ambiance of this setup resembles that of the 1960s set design of Mad Men.
Here are a few other things you can add to a mid-century home office setup:
- Abstract Art
- Wooden Open Shelving
- Eames Chair
- Glass top desk with sculptural wood base
- Fountain pens
- Vintage office accessories
- Mid-century rugs
More Mid-Century Home Office Ideas:
|Martin Furniture Desk And Return, Weathered Dove||63 Reviews||$2,566.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Martin Furniture Desk And Return, Weathered Dove||63 Reviews||$2,566.99||Buy on Amazon|
|IDS Home Contemporary Walnut Wood Executive Swivel Ergonomic with Arms Office Furniture Bentwood Mid...||51 Reviews||$219.00||Buy on Amazon|
|IDS Home Contemporary Walnut Wood Executive Swivel Ergonomic with Arms Office Furniture Bentwood Mid...||51 Reviews||$219.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Brightech Elizabeth Table Lamp with Wireless Charging Pad and USB Port, Bedside Reading Lamp,...||953 Reviews||$49.99||Buy on Amazon|
|SIMPLIHOME Draper SOLID HARDWOOD 64 inch x 35 inch Mid Century Modern Wide Bookcase and Storage Unit...||142 Reviews||$471.27||Buy on Amazon|
|IWELL Mid Century Storage Cabinet with Door & 3 Drawers, Wood Floor Storage Cabinet with Adjustable...||738 Reviews||$129.99||Buy on Amazon|
Industrial Home Office Setup
We found this on Pinterest that serves as a great example of a industrial home office setup: Retro Industrial Home Office Setup Inspiration
Metal, wood, raw brickwork and concrete, exposed beams, pipes —an industrial home office setup is all about combining industrial design elements with contemporary décor.
The sheer elegance and unpretentious aesthetics of reinforced metal framework and raw wood make an industrial home office design truly a work of art.
The desk has a heavy pinewood top with three drawers. There’s a smooth transition between the browns and blacks. The whole supporting frame is made of metal.
There are locking cater wheels at the end of each leg for easy movement. Point to notice is that you typically don’t get wheels in any other home office setup.
The accessories on the desktop add to the rugged beauty of this setup. The old-school lamp and the deer antler bookends combined with the patterned rug, and industrial shelves bring personality to the chic industrial style.
Here are a few other things you can add to an industrial home office setup:
- Surface-mounted electrical wiring
- Sailboat model
- Vinyl record
- Pipe shelf brackets
- Brick Walls
- Vibrant rug
- Typographic prints in simple black picture frames
More Industrial Home Office Ideas:
Contemporary Home Office
We found this on Pinterest that serves as a great example of a contemporary home office setup: Contemporary Home Office Setup Inspiration
A contemporary home office is a subtle combination of modern furniture, comfort, and color. You’ll often see white, gray, black, tan, and accent colors with strong lines, bare spaces, and minimal embellishments in a contemporary home office setup.
The desk has a light brown tone with a white filing cabinet beneath it. At first glance, the whole setup is modernistic, with strong edges and sharp corners. The color scheme also blends in well with the equipment and decorative items.
The three storage shelves above the desk have a similar color tone as that of the desk. Two metal bars extend from the ceiling to the bottom of the last shelf.
There’s also a futuristic designer lamp beside the monochrome picture frame on the desktop.
Some plant vases, empty glass bowls, and a retro camera are also placed on the shelves to complete the contemporary look.
More Contemporary Home Office Ideas:
- Large floating top work surface. Assembled product weight-96 pounds. Weight capacity-80 pounds
- Two drawers with silver colored hardware
- 1 spacious filing drawer
- Sleek silver track metal legs
- Assembly Required
- Design: Ergonomic design of perfect height & curved seat supports user’s back well in sitting and leads to an easy conversations
- STURDY CONSTRUCTION: Well-made and built to last. Black supports ensure stability. Makes a beautiful and elegant addition to any room.
- Modern Style: Modern design, simple but stylish. Perfect for any situation, ex. living room, dining room, office room, waiting room and party.
- Ideal for home and office use - living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms, lobby, reception, waiting rooms and banquets.
- If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via email and we will give you a satisfactory solution immediately.
- Halifax 5-Drawer White Cart feature sliding drawers for easily accessible storage in your home office, kitchen or craft room. Optional locking casters to use them with or without casters for stationary or mobility storage.
- Create a work table by placing tabletop over two units of this cabinets for regular height table
- Cabinet overall size is 19.3"W x 16"D x 26.3"H. Inside drawer is 15.9"W x 11.8"D x 2.6"H.
- If casters is used, 2.2" is clearance between floor and bottom of cart. Assembly required.
- 【Natural wooden】 BAMEOS's natural wooden wall shelves use high-quality wood, which is strong and light. The surface of the carbonized pine wood is painted, so that the texture and color of each wood board are different to meet your unique needs. May this wooden wall shelf add beauty to your simple wall.
- 【Triangle bracket】 Triangle is the most stable structure. BAMEOS's triangle bracket adopts a one-piece 90-degree right-angled triangle design and is made of high-quality steel, which is strong, stable, and load-bearing. The surface of the bracket is painted, smooth, and flawless. We insist on using the simplest design to achieve 22LBS load-bearing capacity.
- 【Multi-function and multi-scene】 The spacious and simple wooden wall frame is perfect for various scenes. Installed in the living room, so that the wall next to the TV is no longer lonely, perfect for storing game discs and various DVDs. Installed in the bathroom, you can use the cup and toothbrush as soon as you raise your hand, or simply decorate with scented candles.
- 【Wall storage】 The spacious wall shelf can make full use of the wall space and is a favorite for small apartments. Make good use of the wall and combine the wall storage and the placement of the cabinets to create a neat sense of space and create a comfortable atmosphere.
- 【 After-sales service】 BAMEOS is committed to providing customers with after-sales support at any time. If you have any questions about the installation or maintenance of the product, please feel free to contact us and we will take care of it. Hope our products will bring more convenience to your life.
- ✔️【CREATE VALUE FOR CUSTOMER】AFROG multifunctional led desk Lamps have go into more than 1000,000 American families and won their trust with professional lighting solutions in past years, exactly what You are looking for!
- ✔️【35 BRIGHTNESS CHOICE】5 lighting modes × 7 level brightness , free to choose any lighting mode you want!
- ✔️【WIRELESS CHARGING】owning both USB Charging Port and Wireless Charger base，always keep your devices within reach!
- ✔️【AUTO OFF TIMER】30/60 minutes Auto off timer, free to sleep,no need to worry about turning off.
- ✔️【EYE CARING TECH】No flicker lighting, it is a desk lamp suitable for kid night bedroom reading.
- △【Triangle Design, Fashionable in Instagram】There is no doubt that this product has been popular in social media like Instagram for a long time. Put it on your desk, take pictures and share it with your social media account, and you'll get a lot of like and vote.
- △【Eye-catching photographic props.】Surface after plating, always exudes elegant luster. It can be used with other furniture or items to become a great assistant for indoor photography, and easy to get beautiful photos.
- △【9 Slot Organizer 】It can store magazines, newspapers, documents, mail and other items, great organizational tools, great for home, office, waiting rooms and breakrooms etc.
- △【Save space】Reduce desktop clutter to almost zero, saving you space and keeping your desktop clean.The best choice for your office, school and home use
- △【Widely used & Art Work 】Beautiful decorative magazine rack, which can be placed in the office, school, lounge, tea room, living room, etc. Unlike traditional bookshelves, our nordic-style magazine rack is both a bookrack and a fashionable setting, very literary, can be used for decoration, photographing and special art.
- ORGANIZATION MADE EASY: Clean up the clutter on your desk, shelf, countertop or workspace at home or in the office with our slim vertical organizers; Store all of your frequently used files, folders, binders, books, papers, receipts, magazines, letters, take-out menus, school papers, kid's artwork, planners, taxes, medical paperwork, receipts and other documents; Perfect for home or commercial use; Keep documents organized, categorized and easy to find; Set of 2
- PORTABLE: These office desk storage compartments feature an easy-to-grab handle; It is simple to pull these off your shelf, counter or desk with the integrated handle and get exactly what you need; The slim design maximizes valuable storage space; Perfect for home, apartment, condo, dorm room, offices and children's study areas
- FUNCTIONAL & VERSATILE: Organizing has never been easier, our convenient, slim design file folder holders are sized right for a wide variety of items; mDESIGN TIP - use these handy holders to store boxes of foil, waxed paper, plastic wrap and more, they fit perfectly; Add double sided tape to one side and you can secure inside a kitchen cabinet or cupboard door to keep these kitchen supplies handy and within easy reach
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Made of durable BPA and Chlorine free shatter-resistant plastic; Food safe; Easy Care - clean with mild soap and water; Do not place in dishwasher
- THOUGHTFULLY SIZED: Each Measures 10" x 3" x 10.7" high
- Unique Daisy Pattern - Imitating the blooming daisies, this posh planter applies a retro floral motif with flower petals scattered. This sophisticated art piece is designed in bright white with glazed finish, together with the delicate daisy patterns that convey innocence and purity, making it an ideal gift for your beloved.
- Quality Assurance - Made of premium ceramic with fine embossing technique, this fully-glazed planter features a beautiful shine and a concave well-shaped surface.
- Wood Stand - Having a sturdy base for your indoor planter helps to put it anywhere in your space with enhanced protection. Interlocking is enabled by the dowel construction of the stand, and thus no assembly is required. With Stand - 9.7"H; Planter - 8.0’’D x 6.1"H
- Pragmatic Planter - Drain hole at the bottom ease the concern of excess water. Your lovely greenery will enjoy breathing and thriving in such spacious pot space. Plants not included
- 100% Satisfaction - 24/7 customer service and full refund & return guaranteed if any problem upon receiving the product
Want to join others who are creating the most amazing home offices and get more tips, tricks and hacks on how to make your home office the best it can be?
Join my brand new free private Facebook group, Home Office Hacks to connect with other home office hackers to make your space the best!