Office chairs are expensive and confusing.
It’s hard to know what to get if you’re not sure what you’re looking at, so it’s not surprising that most people end up buying cheap ones that are uncomfortable and don’t last long.
If you’ve been thinking about buying a new office chair, then you should read this article first. It will help you find the perfect office chair for your budget and lifestyle.
The good news is that there are many great office chairs available for less than $500.
Here are the top 9 best office chair recommendations under $500:
- Steelcase Series 1 Ergonomic Office Chair
- Branch Ergonomic Chair
- Autonomous ErgoChair Pro
- Flash Ergonomic Executive Chair
- OFM 3050 Swivel Ergonomic Office Chair
- Ikea Markus
- SIHOO Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair
- Gabrylly Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair
- Realm of Thrones Admiral Ergonomic Office Chair
- +1 under-the-radar bonus chair you won’t want to miss
I’m going to share with you my top 9 picks for the best office chairs under $500. These are the best office chairs for your budget because they offer great value and comfort.
I’ll also tell you why I recommend each chair and provide links to where you can buy them online.
Real quick, before we get too far into it here, if you want to get more great ideas for your gaming room or home office and want to connect with other home office hackers to make your space the best join my free private Facebook group, Home Office Hacks here.
The Best Office Chairs Below $500
Finding the right ergonomic office chair for you while keeping within a budget can be a little challenging but my goal is to clear things up and make it all easier.
There are tons of options out there and not all chairs are built equal. Futhermore, just because a chair is expensive doesn’t mean it’s the right one for you. But thankfully, there are several affordable options that still deliver on comfort and performance.
1. Steelcase Series 1 Ergonomic Office Chair – Our Pick
Steelcase’s Series 1 office chair is an ideal solution for those looking for a high quality, low cost option. The Series 1 offers a wide range of adjustments including tilt, swivel, height, and lumbar support. This chair is available in many different colors and finishes.
This chair comes with a variety of adjustments including a tilt mechanism, flexible back in addition to fully adjustable armrests, lumbar support, and seat depth.
It’s designed to provide maximum comfort and adjustability. The ergonomic design provides superior posture and reduces stress on the body. The contoured seat and backrest allow for proper alignment and positioning of the spine. The adjustable armrests provide additional comfort and support.
This chair is ideal for any desk environment where long periods of sitting are required. The chair adjusts easily to fit most users and is available in a variety of colors.
- Back mesh and Connect seat fabric are 100% polyester
- Wheels for carpet flooring
2. Branch Ergonomic Chair
The Branch Ergonomic Chair is a great choice for anyone looking for an adjustable, comfortable chair that will help them boost productivity throughout the work day. This ergonomic seat features a broader seat with excellent seat depth for people of all shapes and sizes.
It also comes with an Adjust-A-Line Lumbar Support system allows you to customize the amount of support you need, while the foam seat, included headrest, and backrest are both padded with high-density foam to provide maximum comfort for periods having to work.
Additionally, the chair’s height is adjustable to accommodate different desk heights, and the casters make it easy to move around your workspace. Aside from the seat cushion, firm lumbar support, and smooth adjustable seat height like backrest tilt, it also has an adjustable armrest height feature that is found in most high-end desk chairs.
<a href=”https://www.branchfurniture.com/products/ergonomic-chair”>See it on branchfurniture.com</a>
3. Autonomous ErgoChair Pro
This unique chair is designed with built-in lumbar support and a reclinable seat for your back– which promotes good posture while having various adjustment options. With all these additional comfort features, you can customize it to your own needs. Its ergonomic design and 3D armrests make it a solid option for working and gaming alike.
Plus, it comes with a built-in lumbar support pillow and included headrest, so you can relax in style. And if that isn’t enough, it’s also available in three different stock color choices to match your office vibe and aesthetic. For its starting price, this chair offers more value than most high-end options.
- UPGRADE YOUR WORKSPACE: The Autonomous Ergonomic Office Chair is a modern update to your home office, gamer station, or conference room furniture; Customizable tilt tension perfectly balances your weight and 7-ways adjustable angle supports any sitting posture
- HIGHLY CUSTOMIZABLE: Molded foam seat slides forwards and backwards, raises and lowers; Seat position can be locked or unlocked for flexibility or maximum support; 3D armrests move left to right, up and down, and forwards to backwards for the perfect resting position
4. Flash Ergonomic Executive Chair
Ergonomics, affordability, and style combine to create this stylish and comfortable office chair. It features a tilt-lock feature that lets you rock or recline, and dual-wheeled casters for smooth movement. Its tension adjustment knob keeps you firmly in place.
The breathable mesh back rest and plush cushions offer plenty of comfort as well as ventilation, and the soft fabric cover resists stains and spills.
The arms are fully adjustable and can be flipped up or down when not in use.
It also comes with a 360 degree footrest for added comfort and stability along with a heavy duty nylon base with 360 degree rolling casters is designed to reduce pressure on your legs and help with circulation which keeps you comfortable and focused longer.
- High back office chair with wheels
- Our chair conforms to ANSI/BIFMA standard X5.1-17. Mesh back with built-in lumbar support
5. OFM 3050 Swivel Ergonomic Office Chair
The OFM 3050 swivel chair is one of the most popular ergonomic office chairs on the market It boasts innovative features like the tilt tension adjustment knob for a suspended feeling, whether you are in a reclined or upright position.
In addition, the entire seat and back are padded with high-density foam, and it includes built-in lumbar support with adjustable features to match your seat preference.
The armrests are also adjustable, so you can find just the right position for your wrists and elbows. And the chair swivels 360 degrees, so you can easily reach anything on your desk, make phone calls, and set up multiple monitors.
- COOLING MESH BACK provides added comfort with breathable fabric that promotes air circulation.
- ADJUSTABLE BACK adapts to fit various body sizes while independent back angle adjustment helps reduce pressure on the lower spine.
6. Ikea Markus
The IKEA Markus office chair is one of the most popular chairs on the market and for good reason. It’s affordable, comfortable, and stylish. But what sets the Markus apart from other office chairs is its adjustability.
The chair can be raised or lowered to perfectly suit the user’s desk height, and the backrest can be tilted to provide the best ergonomic position. The armrests are also adjustable so that users can find the perfect position for their elbows. In short, the Markus is a highly adaptable chair that can be customized to perfectly fit any user. And that’s why it’s one of our top picks for the best office chair under $500.
- Adjust the height and angle of this chair so your workday feels comfortable â the mesh backrest lets air through so you keep cool even when the workload rises. Built to outlast years of ups and downs.
- Package Weightage : 22.46 Kg
7. SIHOO Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair
If you’re looking for an ergonomic office chair that will improve your posture and reduce stress on your body, the SIHOO Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair is perfect choice for you.
This stylish chair features a unique design that allows air to flow freely around your body, keeping you cool and comfortable even during long work days.
With adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, and lumbar support, you can tailor the chair to your specific needs for maximum comfort.
The pneumatic seat height adjustment and recline tension adjustment make it easy to find the perfect position, while the backrest angle adjustment lets you customize the amount of support you need.
The flexing back with mesh upholstery and upholstered seat provides lasting durability and support, and the heavy-duty base with smooth-rolling casters ensures easy movement around your workspace. The SIHOO Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair will help you stay comfortable and productive all day long in your home office.
- 【HIGH QUALITY & EASY TO ASSEMBLE】SIHOO office chairs have been certified by BIFMA and SGS, passed 2000lbs static pressure test. It can carry a weight of up to 330lbs. Every part of this computer office chair has strict safety quality testing, cushion impact test, handrail fatigue test, chair foot static pressure test, ect. Simple instructions enable anyone to put chair together in eight simple steps
- 【FOR LONG TIME SITTING】The mesh back and mesh seat keep air circulation for extra comfort. High quality mesh resists abrasion and transformation, , making the high back desk chair suitable for a long-day sitting of 8 hours. Meanwhile, it allows you to sit without feeling hot or sweaty. It also features easy maintenance, please wash the mesh in warm water on a gentle cycle with a cold-water rinse
8. Gabrylly Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair
Gabrylly Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair is one of the most versatile and comfortable chairs on the market. It is perfect for people of all sizes with its 4 supporting points for the head, back, hips, and hands.
The larger seat is perfect for bigger people who need a little extra room.
The mesh back and seat keep you cool and comfy even during the hottest days.
The adjustable seat depth and lumbar support make it easy to customize the chair to your own needs.
And the pneumatic seat height adjustment means you can always find the perfect position.
Whether you’re working at a desk, in a meeting, or at home, the Gabrylly Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair is always a great choice.
- 【ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR】- The ergonomic chair provides 4 supporting points(head/ back/ hips/ hands) and a proper lumbar support. It's easy to adjust seat height, headrest, backrest and flip-up arms to meet different needs, good for sitting long hours. Suitable for people of about 5'5" to 6'2".
- 【LARGE MESH SEAT】- The office chair is larger than other chairs, and it could accommodate different body build. The whole Chair Dimensions(including the arms): 25.6"W x 22"D x 45.3"-54.9"H, the Seat Dimensions: 20"W x 19.3"D x 18.5"-22.05"H. Loading Capacity: 280 lbs. The recline function makes you tilt the backrest back (90~120°) or sit straight freely.
9. Realm of Thrones Admiral Ergonomic Office Chair
Feature-rich and super comfortable, this chair offers everything you need to get through the day.
The Admiral is the perfect choice for those who demand the very best in terms of ergonomics, adjustability, and comfort.
Featuring an advanced chassis mechanism that allows for extensive adjustments, state-of-the-art 5D rotary armrest innovation, and an auto-tuning lumbar support column, this chair has everything you need to stay comfortable during long hours of work or play.
The waterfall contour seat design helps improve blood circulation and the neck support and comfort features provide enhanced support and comfort.
The multi-dimensional calibration precision ensures that your chair is always set to the perfect position, no matter how you move.
The highly breathable and durable mesh fabrics are sourced from Germany and keep you cool and comfortable even during extended use. With its contemporary design, superior comfort, and top-of-the-line features, this is a fantastic addition to any home office.
- 🎯【STATE-OF-THE-ART ROTARY ARMRESTS】270° rotating, height/width adjustable, calibrate elbow-arm-wrist with full length support, minimize pressure and strain on your wrists, and counters ailments such as tense shoulders, muscle fatigue, and carpal tunnel syndrome. Finished with polished steel alloy, these cool mechanics are the ultimate ergonomic gadgets of an office chair.
- 🎯【SEAT-DEPTH & BACKREST-HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE】Seat-depth and backrest-height dual adjustability for the tall (<192cm/6"3'). Your thighs will never be left hanging, and your upper-back will have a place to rest on. Switch instantly and effortlessly between 4-resistance levels of adaptive-tilt to suit your body weight. 136° ultra-wide recline offers first-class cabin comfort on balanced and sturdy structure.
10. BONUS – OdinLake Ergonomic Office Chair
This under-the-radar chair has top-of-the-line chair features at a reasonable price. Their dual Dynaflex back support system is designed to fit your back like a glove. When paired with its soft, breathable seat, it’s the ultimate in delivering comfort and is perfect for those long days at the desk when you’re working from home.
Plus, the seat depth can be adjusted 2 inches to ensure a perfect fit. And with its 4-angle tilt locking headrest and adjustable height and angle, you’ll always be able to find the perfect position.
Best of all, this chair is built to last with its sturdy frame and precision engineered chassis. So if you’re looking for an office chair that will provide superior comfort and support, the OdinLake Ergonomic Office Chairs is a must have!
- ✅【ERGONOMIC BACK SUPPORT OFFICE CHAIR】 2022 NEW Design, our Odinlake office chair Ergo Pro 633 builds in Dual Dynaflex Back Support System, cushioned lumbar support, fits your back more closely, responsive to your every movement. Whatever your sitting position, our high back office chair all provides suitable support, protects your spine, relaxes your muscles and eases back pain.
- ✅【EASILY ADJUSTABLE COMPUTER DESK CHAIR】 The highlight of our office desk chair is that the seat depth can be adjusted 2 inches. All adjustments in this mesh office chair are within reach, chair height, 4 angles tilt locking, headrest height and angle, 3D armrests, tension. It is a customized comfy office chair for different heights and shapes. Our ergonomic desk chair offers 7 supporting points (head, shoulder, back, lumbar, arms, hips, legs).
What Should You Be Looking For When Choosing An Office Chair?
When choosing a seat for your office, it doesn’t have to be an expensive chair. There are different varieties of office chairs. You can choose everything from different colors up to its good quality features. And for under $500, you can find an office chair with an adjustable headrest, a padded seat with the perfect seat depth, and other features that will provide you with all -day comfort.
To help you decide, here are some tips to end up with the perfect option.
Good lumbar support to protect your spine
The shape of people’s backs is unique for every individual, so it’s best to check it yourself and see which one works best for your spine. A task chair should be comfortable since you are going to be sitting on it for countless hours. To avoid injury, make sure you choose a comfortable seat that boasts dynamic lumbar support, a lumbar cushion, and an ergonomic design.
This desk chair might look elegant, but it does not have a firm lumbar cushion to support your posture for hours.
On the other hand, this option has a ton of innovative features that would allow you to work comfortably for hours without risking injury.
If possible, get a chair that has an adjustable backrest
This feature can be helpful if you work long hours. Even a budget-friendly chair under $500 can provide you with ergonomic position adjustments to support your back. If you are looking for a cheap chair that includes the most comfortable chair features, a gaming chair is also an excellent alternative.
Choose an adjustable chair you can easily adjust without reaching too far
Some office chairs might have adjustable height, reclining features, armrest adjustment, tilt control, and more. However, not all affordable chair options have ergonomic features that put the adjustable features within reach.
Its width and depth must be comfortable for your height and table
If you maintain a healthy posture, the chair needs to match your desk height, so make sure the seat depth, height, and armrests line up perfectly with your desk to ensure better posture. It’s better if you chose one with height adjustment features.
Check the seat materials
People mostly prefer breathable mesh, especially on hot days. Fortunately, unlike gaming chairs, office chairs lean toward breathable mesh materials as opposed to faux leather.
Watch the weight limit
Unlike gaming chairs, office chairs usually have a lower maximum weight limit, especially the most affordable ones. When choosing an office chair, make sure you get sturdy chairs and make sure they have broader seat capabilities with a higher weight capacity if you weigh above average.
Select a chair with a warranty
When purchasing a cheap office chair, you will never know how long it will last. So to avoid wasting money, make sure you chose an option with a limited lifetime warranty. A chair with a 5-year warranty or up to a 12-year warranty can be promising because the manufacturers trust their product will last.
What are the Advantages Of Having A Comfortable Office Chair?
Having a comfortable chair is important, especially if you need a task chair for working long hours. Here are some of the advantages of choosing a comfortable office seat:
- They are designed all -day comfort and optimized for long working hours
- They look elegant and most options have an attractive design
- There are different price ranges for you to choose from
- They are not as bulky as gaming chairs
- They come in different styles, unlike gaming chairs that almost always have the same aesthetic features.
What are the disadvantages of having a high-end office chair?
Having a high-end office seat may seem like a good idea, but there are a few things you should consider before buying one.
First off, you should remember that there are plenty of options out there that offer similar features and benefits without breaking the bank.
Second, if you get a leather chair you need to remember that the material is not breathable. If the material isn’t breathable, it’s not really suitable for long periods of work because you’ll sweat.
Third, depending on the type of chair you get a high-end executive office chair might be too big for use in your home office space. If your home office is small then you may want to go for a smaller model instead.
Finally, you need to decide what what’s more important in the kind of chair you want. Do you want something that looks nice? Or do you want something that offers maximum comfort? It’s always a good idea to try out different models until you find one that works for you.
Are Expensive Office Chairs Worth It?
For someone who spends eight hours a day sitting at a desk, an ergonomic chair that provides good back support and promotes proper posture is definitely worth the investment.
Anyone who has ever shopped for office chairs knows that they can range widely in price, from a few hundred dollars to several thousand. With such a wide range of prices, it’s natural to wonder whether the more expensive chairs are worth the extra money.
For someone who primarily uses their home office for checking email and paying bills, a less expensive chair might suffice. Ultimately, the best way to determine whether an expensive office chair is worth the price is to try it out for oneself and see how comfortable it is.
Still curious? Click here to learn if expensive ergonomic office chairs are worth it.
How Long Do Cheap Office Chairs Last?
Cheap office chairs are like cheap cars. They may get you from Point A to Point B, but they’re not going to last forever. Furthermore, the cheaper the chair, the shorter its lifespan is likely to be.
Of course, there are always exceptions in these cheap price ranges. And you might find a gem of a cheap office chair that lasts for years.
A flimsy chair made with low-quality materials is going to fall apart much faster than a sturdier chair made with better materials. With proper care and maintenance, a decent cheap office chair can last for a few years.
But if you abuse it or don’t take good care of it, it probably won’t even make it through one year. So if you’re in the market for a new office chair, don’t be fooled by low prices. Cheap chairs may seem like a good deal at first, but they’ll end up costing you more in the long run.
Are Ergonomic Office Chairs Worth it?
If you take your health seriously, then an ergonomic chair is worth it. Ergonomic chairs these days come at an affordable price. And with additional costs, you can find a solid option for protecting your posture and lumbar regions, and reducing the risk of injury.
Want to connect with other remote workers, contractors, freelancers, gamers and people who work from home who are creating the most amazing home offices and get more tips, tricks and hacks on how to make your home office or gaming room setup the best it can be?
Join my brand new free private Facebook group, Home Office Hacks to connect with other home office hackers to make your space the best!