Floating, wall mounted desks are getting more and more popular because they are less expensive and cumbersome than classic heavy office desks. They also take up far less space.
Mounting your desk to the wall is a simple way to save space and streamline your home office. Wall-mounted desks don’t waste floor footage and come in many different designs to suit your specific desk needs.
Whether you need a small desktop that’s big enough for just your laptop or a full-size workstation attached to the wall, a wall-mounted desk is a great solution.
If you need a workspace but don’t have a whole lot of precious real estate to give up to the cause, mounting your desk to the wall can be an awesome solution.
A desk that is mounted to the wall can give you the functional space you need to work without taking up a ton of as the average office desk does.
A practical desk mounted to the wall can have the same functionality as a classic desk, a chunky desk or heavy desk, a console table, a kitchen table or dining room table, or any other heavy desk surface you might use.
By the way – before we get into it, if you want to get more great ideas for your home office and connect with other home office hackers to make your space the best join my free private Facebook group, Home Office Hacks here.
A Mounted Desk Saves Floor Space
Choosing a compact and stylish wall-mounted desk as your practical desk space is a great idea if you live in a small apartment, like a studio, or if you need to conserve square footage on the floor for any reason.
DIY Huntress’s DIY floating laptop desk includes hidden storage cubbies, which increase the mounted desk functionality further.
The amount of floor space that your mounted desk will save depends entirely on the type of design you go with. Different wall-mounted desks and floating desks have different designs. There are fold-down designs and convertible designs.
The chair you use also plays a role in how much area your workstation takes up.
If you have limited floor space, you will likely want to choose a chair or stool you can roll out of the way. However, it’s important that you always keep comfort in mind for any workspace.
Another floating desk by DIY Huntress features a fold-down design and built-in storage. When the desk is not in use, you can fold it up and out of sight.
Highly Organized and Streamlined
Having a cool fold-out desk or a desk that is mounted to the wall creates a compact and lightweight desk space.
Therefore, you have less of a space to let things pile up. You’re kind of forced to keep things neat, and organized.
The straight lines, angular design, and sleek durable surface also provide an aesthetic solution for your desk needs.
Additionally, floating desks are very cost-effective. You can find all kinds of mounted desks at low costs because their construction requires far less material overall.
- Compact design: Yescom Wall Mounted Floating Folding Desk.
- 24″x16″ Wall Mounted Floating Desk is designed with smooth and clear contour that show the essence of simplicity which is compatible with different kinds of decoration style and ideal for holding laptop, books, decorations and more
- Constructed with press bracket allowing it to fold against the wall when not in use for space saving and easy usage
- Clean design: Giantex Wall Mounted Floating Computer Desk
- Space-Saving & Concise Design◇ This working desk with smart design can be mounted on the wall to save space. Without too much elaborate ornamentation, the desk is in a concise and contemporary style. Not only it can provide more space in a room but also suitable for your office, study, bedroom or living room.
- Labor-Saving & Prevent Hurting◇ You can mount this cabinet at any height with metal accessories. Once it is hung up, you don’t need to clean the desk around by bending or crouching. Two legs of this desk are in tilting design to prevent bumping into furniture legs effectively.
- Classic design: Pmnianhua Multifunctional Fold Down Wooden Wall Mounted Computer desk
- The floating desk is made from plywood and well made banding which is environment. With high quality hardware, the wall mount desk is sturdy and durable. It can load up to 40KG/88lb.
- The wall desk can be used as a computer desk when unfolded, and as a floating shelf when folded. Wall-mounted and foldable designs provide a compact space. Floating design free up much floor space and make it easy to clean.For those who want to store basic items and keep the room clean, it provides an ideal space-saving solution.
- Modern design: Walker Edison Wall Mounted Writing Desk
- 18″ H x 24″ L x 4.5″ W
- Designed for small space homes
- Industrial design: Nathan James Two-Shelf Wall-Mount Ladder Table
- The wall mount desk with storage has 2 fixed shelves making it a perfect solution for small spaces.
- Use this stylish and functional Theo ladder desk as a small writing table or computer/laptop desk and even pair it with other Theo bookshelves for extra storage.
Yescom Wall Mounted Floating Folding Desk Wooden PC Dining Drop Leaf Table 24″x16″ 50lbs Weight Capicity for Study Black
Giantex Wall Mounted Desk Floating Computer Desk, Writing Study Table W/3 Storage Shelves, Laptop PC Table for Living Room, Bedroom, Office (Black)
Floating Desk,Wall Mounted Table Folding Fold Down Laptop Computer Desk with Storage Shelves for Wall Bedroom Small Space (Burlywood-YM-Left)
Walker Edison Modern Wood and Metal Wall Mounted Writing Desk Home Office Workstation Small, 24 Inch, English Oak
Nathan James Theo 2-Shelf Industrial Wall Mount Ladder Table, Small Computer or Writing Desk, Nutmeg/Matte Black
These desks are typically quite easy to install, as well.
I’ll go over DIYing a desk in a minute.
What Is a Murphy Desk?
A Murphy desk is a fold-down desk. I’ve mentioned it above without actually calling it a Murphy desk.
Any floating, fold-down or convertible low-profile desk that folds out of the way is considered a Murphy desk.
If you know what a Murphy bed is, just imagine that, instead of a fold-out bed, you have a convenient fold-out desk.
YUSING Wall Mounted Table, Fold Out Convertible Desk Multi-Function Computer Desk Writing Desk Home Office Wood Wall Floating Desk with Large Storage Area
- Our wall mount computer desk is made of high quality MDF material, it is sturdy and strong enough for your daily use.
- The wall mounted table Features multiple storage compartment, our computer desk provides spacious storage for you to store and display you items. With 2 adjustable shelves, it also can meet your different needs.
Haotian FWT07-W,White Folding Wooden Wall-Mounted Drop-Leaf Table Desk Integrated with Storage Shelves
- Great design wall mounted desk with storage shelves and drawers provides working space and extra plenty of storage space.
- Material: Table top: Solid wood; Wall board: MDF.
(40″ Lx16 W) Industrial Rustic Folding Wall Mounted Workbench Drop Leaf Table, Dining Table Desk, Pine Wood Wall Mounted Bar Tables,Workbench,Study Table,Collapsible Butcher Block Solid Wood Table
- Table Countertop is 100% solid wood;
- Overall Size: Table top 40″long, 16″deep; 1.2″thickness;foldable bracket 14″deep;Overall weighs 9kg
- Mount at any Height with Prepac secure metal hanging rail system, Saving valuable floor space
- Cable & wire management features keep your desk organized
HOMCOM Wall Mounted Desk with Storage Shelves, Floating Desk with Foldable Tabletop, Space Saving Computer Writing Table, Coffee
- SPACE-SAVING DESIGN: Coming from the ingenuity of its designer, this computer desk can be mounted to the wall for saving your home space most effectively. The wall panel can be folded up when not in use to save space.
- AMPLE STORAGE: our office desk offers a generous work surface with a drawer and several storage grids that provide ample storage space for your papers, books, pens, files, notebooks, and more.
Fold-Out Convertible Desk
Fold-out convertible desks are popular because they offer multiple types of functionality. They offer ample surface space when necessary.
Convertible desks attach to the wall when not in use, but when they are needed, you can just pull it down and have your own desk ready to go.
Drop Leaf Table
A drop-leaf table is like a convertible desk in a different desk form. A drop-leaf floating desk has no desk legs and instead relies on brackets that keep the desktop surface perpendicular to the wall when in use.
Think of a leaf dining table. The extra leaves fold down when not in use. With a drop leaf table, the whole table folds up or down when not in use. This kind of desk is perfect as a folding laptop desk.
Ladder Shelf Desk
A ladder shelf desk is very stylish and chic. Even though it technically touches the floor, it only does so as a ladder would, and takes up very little actual space.
You can pull your chair right up to the wall to use your ladder shelf desk. Plus, you get a desk with plenty of extra storage shelves.
Drop Down Secretary Desk
A drop-down secretary desk is similar to a classic secretary desk except it is attached to the wall and doesn’t take up much space.
A secretary desk is a desk with lots of drawers, one of which pulls out into a writing space. Basically, the entire desk is inside a drawer.
Can You Use a Wall Shelf as a Desk?
Shelf desks are ideal wall desks as long as they are high enough on the wall for you to comfortably use. They should also be the correct depth.
Additionally, the wall shelf should be able to bear the weight of whatever computer and office equipment you are placing on top of it. Make sure any wall shelf you use as a desk holds up to your needs.
Ladder shelf desks are the perfect blend of shelf and desk:
HOOBRO Ladder Computer Desk, Small Home Office Writing Desk with Bookshelf, Industrial Ladder Shelf, Sturdy Metal Frame, Space-Saving Workstation, Easy Assembly, Rustic Brown BF72DN01
- Ideal for Small Space: Still worried about not having enough space for bulky ladder desk? Why not choose this space-saving desk with sleek and modern look? With the 29.1 x 18.9 inch tabletop, the leaning-against-wall and minimal design performs well in a tight spot and creates a small office space
- Creative Possibilities: With minimalist idea and practicality, the industrial writing desk with 2 open rustic brown shelves fits all daily needs. Besides a great size to sit at when working from home or dressing up at eye level, shelves are a nice addition for displaying bottles, knickknacks, books, CDs and candles etc
Industrial Style Laptop Desk Solid Wood Computer Desk Storage Table with Shelves Wall Shelf Bookshelf Floating Shelves for Home Office(Gray,Depth 16in)
- Rustic industrial DIY handmade multifunction pipe bookcase with table shelf
- Beautiful and practical .You can use it wherever you want.
- Modern two tone ladder design complements clean white surfaces with natural hardwood side beams. Simple and easy assembly with all hardware included
- 2 top shelves provide a convenient platform for books, decorations, photos, and more
How to Wall-Mount a Desk (DIY)
When it comes time to mount your desk to the wall, there are two main ways to do this. The first method involves drilling pilot holes into the studs behind the walls where you plan to place your desk.
It’s super important that when you’re mounting your desk that you find the studs and place several anchor screws into them for stability and long-term durability.
You should be able to easily identify these studs using a stud finder tool. If you don’t already have one, I recommend getting one – it’s going to make your life so much easier when it’s time to drill.
You could use heavy-duty drywall anchors if you can’t tap into your studs, just remember and think about how you use a desk: people lean on them, push down on them, and put a lot of weight on them.
So whatever you use to get the desk mounted make sure they can stand up to the load they’re going to be carrying.
Once you’ve found the studs, mark the location of each hole so you can make sure they line up perfectly and everything is level.
Drill your pilot holes before screwing anything into the wall. The pilot holes help you to put your screws into the wall without damaging the surrounding wood and making sure you’ve got a good strong fit.
It’s much easier than trying to force screws into solid pieces of wood.
If you’d like to add some extra support to your desk, which is never a bad idea, you may consider adding additional supports between the wall and the desk itself. This would help prevent any wobble from occurring while still stabilizing your desk.
As far as what brackets to use, there are numerous different types of brackets available online or even in hardware stores.
Since you’re mounting a desktop surface, the brackets you choose, just like the screws you use as discussed previously, need to be able to handle the load of your desk.
Regardless of which type you choose, you need to ensure that you measure correctly.
The distance between the top of the bracket and the bottom of the desk needs to match the height of the desktop you’re shooting for. Otherwise, things won’t work out right. To get the sizes right for you and your desk, check out this article.
Now that we’ve covered all the basics, let’s talk about installing your new desk!
Get the Correct Materials
- Shelf brackets
- Using the most stable triangle structure, each pair can carry up to 250 lbs. These shelving brackets can do a good job in holding heavy items, like machines, tool totes, appliances, books, lumbers, canned food, etc.
- Provide shelving with the support it needs, these brackets are designed to support shelves from 18 inches to 22 inches deep.
- Wood screws (if your desktop is wooden)
- #8 x 1-1/2″, Includes One 25mm T-20 Star Bit
- T-20 Star Drive, Torx(tm) Compatible
- Drill (with 90-degree attachment for convenience)
- VERSATILE 30 PC. SET – Includes a wide variety of bits and accessories for drilling and driving tasks.
- CORDLESS DRILL/DRIVER – Compact, lightweight design for versatile use.
- Stud finder
- Safety glasses (I don’t want you getting hurt, now!)
- Adjustable temples: The length of the temples can be adjusted, so that regardless of the face or head size, it is suitable for men, women, children, teenagers, adults and the elderly. The ergonomic integrated lens design is comfortable and stress-free.
- High-definition anti-fog field of vision: double-layer coating, strong hardness and abrasion resistance, high-tech lens without fogging, high-definition transparency of UV lens, wide-angle vision with humanity design of optical glasses. It also has anti-dust, anti-pollen and anti-allergic functions. It can reduce ultraviolet rays and block glare, protect eyes from harmful light and have anti-splash function to protect eyes from strong impact.
LuckIn 8-Pack Heavy Duty Shelf Bracket, 18 Inch Wall Shelf Brackets with 90 Degree Triangle, 250 LBS Max Load, Mounting Hardware Included, Black
WoodPro Fasteners AP8X112-1 Number-8 by 1-1/2-Inch All Purpose Wood Construction Screws, T20, 1-Pound Net Weight, 210-Piece , Gold
Safety glasses Industrial Goggles with Anti-fog Lens, Clear Safety glasses with Anti-Scratch UV400 protection Lens Goggles Eyeglasses
Select Your Desktop Surface
When selecting your desktop surface, keep the following three factors in mind:
- Desktop surface material
- Desktop surface thickness
- Desktop surface dimensions
You can use whatever type of surface material you want, but the most common desktop material is wood, or some derivative.
As I’ve mentioned in other places, I love the idea of butcher block wood as a desktop surface.
Check out how cool this floating desk looks with a butcher block top!
When you purchase pre-made floating desks, you’ll find that most are MDF or engineered wood. However, you can easily make a much sturdier and more beautiful solid wood surface yourself. You just have to find the right supplies.
You should also get a surface that is thick and durable enough to hold your equipment. Take into account the area where you will be installing your desk and choose a surface that will fit, or cut it down to size.
Measure and Install Brackets
Decide how high your desk will be on the wall. Choose a height at which you will remain comfortable while sitting and working for hours. Keep in mind that the thickness of your desktop surface will affect the space your legs have.
Use your stud finder to find your wall’s stud and install your shelf brackets in the middle of the stud using wood screws. Remember to measure, measure, and measure before you start drilling.
Attach Your Desk to the Wall
Voila! Attach your desktop surface to the brackets and the wall and you are done. Take a moment to admire your work; you’ve earned it.
The Right Mounted Desk Dimensions
A good depth for your office desk depends on your personal preferences and the amount of equipment and supplies your desk needs to hold. However, there are some standards you can use to get a general idea.
However, you can make your desk to your own custom specifications if the standard sizes don’t suit you. Additionally, a floating desk meant to save space will certainly be smaller than the standard size.
Floating Desk Solutions
Floating desks can come in handy for all sorts of situations. Whether you only have a tiny amount of room to spare, or you have a whole wall to build a desk on but you want to be as far against the edge of the room as you can, a floating desk can suit your needs.
Awkward, Unused Corner Spaces
Install floating desks in untapped spaces.
The above desk is in an awkward space that might otherwise never get used due to its strange shape.
Built-In Desk Storage
Some desks have built-in storage features. Murphy desks and floating desks sometimes feature drawers and cabinets. However, when you get really compact, you have to get creative with your office storage.
Add extra storage space if your floating desk is just a basic flip-down table. A home office can get cluttered quickly if you don’t have the proper storage solutions.
Expandable Wood Desktop Bookshelf Desktop Organizer Office Storage Rack Wood Display Shelf – Free Style Display True Natural Stand Shelf Rack Assembled Bookcase Adjustable Display Rack, White
- QUALITY MATERIAL: Made of MDF wood/White, painting finish, won’t rust or corrode. uniform color, baffle design, durable, and healthy and environmental protection, strong load-bearing.
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN: Design with sleek irregular shelves; The desktop bookshelf has 2 main parts, the position and the distance between two parts can be adjusted to meet your different storage needs; Maximize use your space.
Sorbus® Floating Shelf — Asymmetric Square Wall Shelf, Decorative Hanging Display for Trophy, Photo Frames, Collectibles, and Much More, Set of 3 (3-Tier – Black)
- ASYMMETRIC FLOATING SHELF (BLACK) — Showcase charming collectibles and home décor with an asymmetric wall shelf, featuring 5 intersecting sides for storage and display
- VERSATILE & STYLISH DÉCOR — Great for photos, toys, trophies, treasures, small plants, and home décor — Adds character and warmth to any modern, rustic, or traditional interior — Fills empty wall space above a desk, fireplace, entryway, vanity, between windows, and more
- Drawers accommodate letter-size hanging file folders
- Full high-side drawers provide storage for other office essentials
- Ideal storage for home, classroom, crafts or art studios
- Semi-transparent large storage drawers for easy viewing
- Stackable 4-cube design great for quick organization (includes 2 individual back panels) | Single unit can be placed vertically or horizontally
- Product dimensions – 12.24” W x 11.69” D x 47.56” H | Cube dimensions (each) – 11.25” W x 11.75” D x 11.25” H | Cube weight limit (each) – 15 lbs. | Assembly required
Want to join others who are creating the most amazing home offices and get more tips, tricks and hacks on how to make your home office the best it can be?
Join my brand new free private Facebook group, Home Office Hacks to connect with other home office hackers to make your space the best!