In an office space, the desk is typically the focal point and centerpiece. With so many desk designs available, it is easy to create an entire office motif based on the desk design alone.
A home office desk design not only includes desk material, finish, shape, and size but also placement in your space. Popular desk designs include traditional, contemporary, elegant, and more along with credenzas, side tables lamps and monitor placement. The best desk design for any individual person meets their practical needs while also suiting their personal aesthetic preferences.
While all home office desks provide the same overall utility, their various designs can be tailored to individuals’ specific needs.
Creative custom designs can boost a creative workspace while clever organization and personal touches can elevate a standard office desk.
By the way – before we get too far along here, if you want to get more great ideas for your home office and connect with other home office hackers to make your space the best join my free private Facebook group, Home Office Hacks here.
Home Office Desk Design
Home office desk design is more than just how a desk looks. Desk design is about how a desk is constructed, how a desk is styled, and how a desk fits in a space. Additionally, a desk’s design should be practical, functional, and aesthetically pleasing.
Office Desk Materials
A major design factor comes from the materials that manufacturers use to create a desk.
For example, there’s something very stoic and grounding about a big oak desk that you won’t really find in a glass or acrylic desk. By that same principle, though, a large oak desk won’t fit very well in a contemporary or minimalist office space.
Below are the most commonly used desk materials.
Depending on what kind of overall vibe you want your home office to have, your desk material is going to play an important role. Materials also have an impact on cost and durability.
Wooden desks are, by far, the most popular desk material.
Wooden desks can fit well in any office design scheme from traditional to rustic to contemporary.
Wooden desks can be light or heavy, depending on the type of wood used.
They can be painted or stained, giving you complete control over how your desk design looks in your office. Wooden desks create a sense of groundedness within a space.
Solid wood desks can be constructed from all kinds of wood types, including maple, oak, elm, pine, walnut, teak, cedar, mahogany, and bamboo. You can also come across desks that are constructed with plywood and particleboard, though these are not solid wood and are less durable.
Glass desks are sleek and elegant. They fit in well with minimalist and contemporary office designs.
Glass desks are usually lighter and easier to move around than solid wood desks, though they can get heavy if the glass is cut thick.
Glass desks are usually see-through, so they elevate other designs in the room. Additionally, they reflect light and can brighten and open up a space.
Downsides of glass desks include their durability and difficulty keeping clean.
Glass desks are more likely to crack or break than other materials, which can become quite dangerous and stressful.
Also, each fingerprint and streak will show up on a glass desk where they wouldn’t on other materials.
Metal desk designs are less common, but they do exist. Most metal desks are made of steel, which goes well with industrial-style offices. Steel desks are durable but quite heavy.
Depending on how the desk is constructed, a metal desk can have rough finishing, which might damage office flooring or be uncomfortable to use day in and day out.
Plastic Laminate / Acrylic
Plastic desks are relatively common because they are cheap and easy to move around. Plus, plastic desk designs come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Certain plastics, like PVC, are quite durable as well.
One drawback of plastic desk designs is that they are not nearly as durable or long-lasting as wooden desks.
Plastic desks don’t have that elegant, stately appeal that large wooden desks have, either. Still, not everyone has ample space for a giant wooden desk so plastic desks can come in handy.
Different Desk Designs and Styles
Anyone who has purchased or window-shopped for a desk in the last five years knows that the word “desk” contains multitudes.
No longer is a desk simply a surface on top of four legs. Below are just a few of the desk designs and styles that you can find in stores and online.
Traditional desks are desks that feature well-established designs that have been around for a long time. Traditional desks won’t be at home in modern or contemporary offices, but they will fit in well in vintage-styled libraries or studies.
Signature Design by Ashley Hamlyn Traditional Home Office Desk with Storage and Pull Out Tray, Medium Brown
- HOME OFFICE STORAGE DESK: This elegant desk makes a grand impression; The clean-lined structure has a dark finish with stately, high-end appeal
- PLENTIFUL DRAWERS: The glide-out keyboard tray makes computer work or gaming easy; It’s an ideal workstation with 2 drawers and 1 file drawer; Made of veneers, wood and engineered wood
Sauder Palladia L-Shaped Desk, Vintage Oak finish
- Center drawer/shelf for laptop or keyboard can be fastened on left or right side
- File drawer with full extension slides holds letter or legal size hanging files
Martin Furniture IMSA684R-KIT Executve L-Desk & Return with Solid Wood Plank Tops, Fully Assembled, Brown
- Dropfront keyboard/pencil drawer
Traditional desks are typically large, brown, and made of wood or wood-like material. MDF stands for medium-density fiberboard. Executive desks are often designed in the traditional style.
Pinterest user S. B. Long Interiors creates an elegant traditionally designed home office here:
Modern / Contemporary Desks
A desk with a modern or contemporary design will be sleek and light. These desks will typically be more minimalist and feature straight lines.
Techni Mobili Expandable Modern Storage Writing Desk, Mahogany
- Desktop made with MDF panel
- Frame is made of powder coated Grey steel material
Modway Adjacent Contemporary Modern Office Desk With Metallic Legs in White
- CONTEMPORARY DESIGN – Be inspired while seated in front of an exceptional small living design. Free your mind as you write, draw, and work on your computer with this contemporary writing office desk
- MULTI-PURPOSE USE – Whether situated in the home office space, study, apartment, bedroom, living room, entryway or dorm room, versatility abounds with Adjacent. Make the most out of small living areas
bonVIVO Small Glass Desk – Modern Computer Work Table w/Clear Top for Home Office & Bedroom – White
- SIMPLE & ELEGANT – Nothing says minimalistic and modern quite like a Massimo glass computer desk. It’s thoughtfully designed to add contemporary flair to any living room, home, apartment, or dorm.
- COMPLETE VERSATILITY – At 29.5″ x 43.3″ x 21.6″, this modern desk is the perfect size to get things done. Use it for writing, playing computer games, or as a glass vanity table to get ready.
Each of these desks is on the smaller side with straight, angular lines. Pinterest user Homary’s lovely contemporary design is shown here:
Different Desk Shapes
With desk design comes desk shape. A desk shape has a whole lot to do with a desk’s utility and how it’s going to fit within a space.
For example, if you have a tiny room to work with, you might not go with a large U-shaped desk.
But, if you have a wide-open home office to fill, you probably won’t choose a wall-mounted floating desk.
L-shaped desks are shaped like the letter L.
You typically have one straight surface you work primarily on and one surface that you can use for storage and secondary work.
However, Pinterest user SifresizAraclar2 has their L-shaped desk set up in a creative way, which utilizes both angles equally:
U-shaped desks are shaped like the letter U. Shocking, I know. A U-shaped desk is similar to an L-shaped desk, but it has an extra surface.
When you work at a U-shaped desk, you’re typically surrounded on three sides with workspace.
You can see how much space becomes available with a U-shaped desk based on this upload by Better Homes and Gardens:
Clearly, this desk design works best in larger spaces.
Corner desks, on the other hand, are great for small spaces.
If you don’t have a ton of room for a massive desk, a corner desk can fit into even the tightest, most awkward spaces without taking up much room. Just be sure you have enough space to scoot your chair in and out.
ODK Corner Desk, Triangle Computer Desk Corner Vanity with Large Drawer & Storage Shelves, Corner Writing Desk for Workstation
- TRIANGLE DESIGN: Make full use of your corner space. Just a corner space can both meet your working and gaming needs. Overall dimensions are 28.3L x 28.3W x 30H inch.
- LARGE DRAWER & LARGE STORAGE SPACE: Upgraded version with a large drawer, designed for better storage. The open shelving under the desk is a perfect storage place for your items.
VECELO Corner Computer Desk 41 x 30 inches with Smooth Keyboard & Storage Shelves for Home Office Workstation,Rustic Natural Brown
- Corner desk with keyboard tray and two open shelves on the side provides working space and extra plenty of storage space.
- Made of high quality MDF which ensures sturdy and durable.It provides enough durable work surfaces.Triangle design ensure stability and load capacity,would meet the various daily load-bearing needs.
Leick Home 23430 Chisel & Forge Corner Computer Desk with Dropfront Keyboard Drawer, Smoke Gray/Matte Black
- Matte black finished metal base
- X side design
As you can see, even some of the smallest corner desks still have clever built-in storage to optimize their design utility.
Floating Desks (Wall-Mounted)
Floating desks are another space-saving desk design. Instead of choosing a desk that takes up a great deal of floor space, you can mount your desk to the wall and let it “float.”
Pull up a chair when you need to use your desk and fold your desk away when you’re done.
Floating Desk,Wall Mounted Fold Down Wooden Laptop Computer Desk with Storage Shelves Folding Table Desk Workstation for Wall Bedroom Small Space (Gray-White (Right))
- The floating desk is made from plywood and well made banding which is environment. With high quality hardware, the wall mount desk is sturdy and durable. It can load up to 40KG/88lb.
- It can be used as a computer desk when unfolded, and as a bookshelf when folded. Wall-mounted and foldable designs provide a compact space.This Hanging Desk is perfect for your daughter or son to keep knick knacks and do school work. It is perfect for small room like bedroom, make up and remote learning.The shelf space which gets used for simple supply storage or display.
9 Plus Wall Mounted Floating Folding Table, Drop Leaf Dining Table Small Wooden Desk for Office Home Kitchen(23.6″ 15.6″ (LW)), White
- SIMPLY STYLISH DESIGN: small wall hanging table desk, space saving and convenient to use.
- SPACE SAVER BLOCK STORAGE TABLE: 23.6″*15.6″ (L*W), and weighs 7lb with support around 50lb, stable&sturdy wood storage fitting nicely into narrow space.
YUSING Wall Mounted Table, Fold Out Convertible Desk Multi-Function Computer Desk Writing Desk Home Office Wood Wall Floating Desk with Large Storage Area
- Our wall mount computer desk is made of high quality MDF material, it is sturdy and strong enough for your daily use.
- The wall mounted table Features multiple storage compartment, our computer desk provides spacious storage for you to store and display you items. With 2 adjustable shelves, it also can meet your different needs.
Desks Designed for Different Needs
So, you know what design you like, but what design do you need?
Of course, with all the desks on the market today (and the infinite possibilities with custom-made desks), you can marry the two.
Desks for Dual Monitors
If you work from home, you’re probably on the dual-monitor bandwagon by now.
Working with multiple monitors makes it so much easier to get work done efficiently because you don’t have to bounce back and forth between 40 open tabs.
If you’re one of the many who swears by dual monitors, you might want a desk design that tailors to this setup.
OUTFINE Desk Computer Desk Office Desk with Drawer, Monitor Stand and Storage Shelves
- Shelves and Drawer – Three open shelves and one drawer make the most of the space under the desk top. They are great storage places for tower, books, paper documents, files and others, making your work space more organized and efficient.
- Monitor Stand – A long monitor stand stretching over the desk top can be used to place your monitor and other accessories. It not only helps for ergonomic sitting posture, but also adds extra space to your workstation.
Cubiker Modern L-Shaped Computer Office Desk, Corner Gaming Desk with Monitor Stand, Home Office Study Writing Table Workstation for Small Spaces, Black
- Modern Design Style: Cubiker L Shaped desk unifies rigid metal with MDF boards
- Durable and Sturdy: The sturdy frame can support all your office essentials
White Desk with Keyboard Tray, 55 INCH Desk with Storage Shelves Modern Computer Desks for Home Office Study Desk with Monitor Shelf Industrial PC Desk Studio Desk with Iron Hooks, Easy to Assemble
- Ergonomically designed pull out keyboard tray of 23.6″ surface is an great ideal for a full-size 87 or 108 key keyboard + mouse or other practical things, which can reduce arm and wrist fatigue. Bedroom desk with 4 versatile hooks can be used for hanging your Headphone, Bags, or other useful gadgets.
- 55″ Length and 23.6″ Width desktop ensures you enjoy ultra large working & writing space, which provides ample space for writing, studying, gaming and other home office activities, which is waterproof, easy to clean and scratch-resistant, strong enough to support heavy weights up to 500lbs. Office desk with sturdy steel construction for years of worry-free use.
Desks for Multiple People
Do you and your partner both work from home? if you want to build a singular office space for more than one person to share, consider desk designs for multiple people.
Extra-long computer desks along one wall can easily fit two workstations. Pinterest user Jessica Welling shows how this can easily be done:
With a table in between for additional space, the setup becomes even more efficient. Pinterest user Top Shelf DIY has this great completed desk design:
If you have a full room to use as a home office, consider taking your desk off the wall and placing it in the middle of the room.
Using one large desk or two desks pushed against one another in the center of the room is a convenient, attractive way to set up multiple workstations in the same space.
This simple but effective design by Pinterest user Ballard Designs is a great example:
Desk Designs for Small Spaces
The best desk to use when you have very limited space is a desk with a compact design.
Either a corner desk or a floating desk will have an innovative design that allows you to work even in tight quarters.
If you live in a studio apartment with very limited square footage, it’s smart to think outside the box and create workspace designs using multifunctional furniture.
- Set up your laptop on a console table and pull up a chair.
- Particleboard, Metal
- Slender Fit: Sized in 39.4” L x 11.8” W x 28.3” H. This slim and sleek console table is the first choice in any tight space. It smartly freeds up each essential square inch, especially in the high-turnover entryway, and easily squeezes between the sofa and against the wall
- Use a storage ottoman for office supplies as well as seating.
- SUEDE STORAGE BENCH/ OTTOMAN CHEST (TEAL) — Add storage and seating with a beautiful rectangular shaped folding bench, perfect for storing a variety of items— Tuck away linens, toys, games, books, blankets, accessories, and more to maximize your space with contemporary style
- REDUCE CLUTTER — Conceal and de-clutter your possessions — Effortlessly organize after a quick clean-up session with a convenient compartment to store belongings with the lid cover
- Look for mobile desk designs that you can wheel around the room.
- Comfortable: laptop tray can be tilted 160° and rotated 360° so you can use your laptop in the exact position you want
- Rolling: portable stand with 4 wheels that move 360°, easy to move around in any direction
HOOBRO Console Table, Sofa Table with Support Bar, Hallway Entrance Table for Living Room, Entryway, Corridor, Sturdy, Easy Assembly, Wood Look Accent Table, Rustic Brown and Black BF30XG01
Sorbus Storage Ottoman Bench – Collapsible/Folding Bench Chest with Cover – Perfect Toy and Shoe Chest, Hope Chest, Pouffe Ottoman, Seat, Foot Rest, – Contemporary Faux Suede (Teal)
Tatkraft Like Portable Laptop Desk with Mouse Pad, Rolling Computer Stand with Adjustable Height, Sturdy and Ergonomic, White
Pinterest user City Chic Decor conserves space in a studio apartment with this beautiful and functional design:
Desk Designs for Optimum Storage
If you have space in your home office for file drawers and bookshelves aplenty, consider yourself lucky.
However, if you need a desk that lends itself to maximum storage despite limited floor space, you’ll want to look for an efficient design.
Small Desk White Computer Desk with Storage: 47 in Office Desk with Shelves Kids Writing Desk Student Study Table Modern Wood Pc Laptop Gaming Desk for Home with Metal Legs (39 in, Oak)
- A big 120cm tabletop with sturdy metal frame that fits up to 2 computer screens, your keyboard, and mouse … and a notebook to comfortably write or read! ( Size: 47.2” x 21.6” x 29.5 ”)
- Include 5 storage shelves on the side of the desk with a modern design, different shelves’sizes offer a better organization capability. Papers, books, drawing material, decorative objects, portfolios, pen holders, small printer, phone chargers. It’d also make a great vanity table with all your makeup ready at hand!
Tribesigns Reversible L Shaped Computer Desk with Storage Shelf, Industrial 55 Inch Corner Desk with Shelves and Monitor Stand, Study Writing Table for Home Office (55″ D x 41″ W, Rustic Brown)
- The L-shaped desk will maximize your workspace. The riser shelf can easily hold 2 monitors, printers and other devices.A spacious desktop allows you to create more freely.Besides,the side opens shelf keeping everything you need at work within reach, which keeps you productive.（𝙉𝙤𝙩𝙚：𝙈𝙚𝙩𝙖𝙡 𝙁𝙧𝙖𝙢𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙘𝙠𝙚𝙣 𝙞𝙨 𝟬.𝟵𝟴”*𝟬.𝟵𝟴”）
- Reversible L-Shaped, You can choose to install the storage shelf on the left or right side as per your needs. The monitor stand allows you to raise your screen to eye level, promoting a good posture, helps to reduce back & neck pain. A 29.53-inch high computer desk provides a very comfortable seating space.This desk can max your working, writing, study, gaming and reading enjoyment.
Sauder Harbor View Computer Desk with Hutch, Salt Oak finish
- Slide-out keyboard/mouse shelf with metal runners and safety stops to keep you and your family safe
- Three drawers feature patented T-lock assembly system for quick and easy assembly
Multifunctional Desk Spaces
A dedicated home office space is always the ideal. However, if you must share your office space with another area in the home, try making the most out of a single piece of furniture by creating a multifunctional design. Kitchen, dining room, and coffee tables can all be workspaces.
Designs for a Desktop
Now that you’ve looked at desk designs and makeups, consider how you plan to design your desktop space. There is more to desk design than just the desk itself.
Once you choose a desk and get it fitted inside your office, you must choose how to organize your desk accessories for optimum work efficiency.
For a space-saving desk design, choose items that fit into a compact space and don’t take up too much of your desk surface.
- VICNOVA Monitor Stand Riser: A monitor stand lifts your computer monitor off your desktop and gives you a bit of hidden storage.
Marbrasse Monitor Stand – 3 Height Adjustable Computer Stand Built with Phone & Drawer, Monitor Riser with Storage, Laptop Stand, Computer Monitor Stands for Home & Office！
- This height adjustable monitor stand elevates your monitor or laptop to a suitable viewing height, relieving the burden on the neck and releasing the pressure on your back, so you can use a better SITTING POSITION for work and entertainment. (3 hight can be adjusted 2/3/5.1 inches)
- The monitor riser stand comes with a Pull Out Sliding Drawer, you can put your pens, pencils, notebooks or other office supplies in it ; a multifunction slot for holding phone, pad & pen. Provide you a convenient office lifestyle ！
- TROPICAL TREE Clamp LED Desk Lamp: A clip-on desk lamp attaches to the side of your desk rather than taking up precious space on top.
TROPICALTREE LED Desk Lamp, Swing arm Desk Light with clamp, 3 Lighting 10 Brightness Eye-Caring Modes, Reading Desk Lamps for Home Office 360 Degree Spin with USB Adapter & Memory Function black-14W
- Long arm lamp provides Dimming Design (from 3200K to 6500K).Its light is very uniform, can prevent blue light damage to the eyes. This lamp is suitable for all ages, no matter the children or grandparents, easily protect your family’s eyes.
- The LED desk lamp has memory function, it will restore your last setting when you use next time. Suitable for office, workbench, reading room, painting, study, bedside table lighting, nail salon.
- Safco Products Underdesk Hanging Organizer: For files and paperwork, an under-desk organizer can keep things from piling up on top of your desk.
Safco Products Onyx Mesh 5-Tray Underdesk Hanging Organizer 3240BL, Black Powder Coat Finish, Durable Steel Mesh Construction,10.25″W x 12.37″D x 14.37″H
- STURDY CONSTRUCTION. Onyx Mesh 5-Tray Underdesk Hanging Organizer is manufactured with a strong, commercial-grade steel for years of heavy, repetitive use. It includes one desktop tray and four underdesk trays for documents, catalogs and folders.
- SIMPLE INSTALLATION. Organizer slides onto desk and table surfaces up to 1 3/4″ thick and holds securely with a rubber-headed tightening screw.
Cord clutter can quickly overwhelm a space, so creating a functional desk design that keeps your cords in check is essential.
Fortunately, cord management isn’t difficult to manage.
- Artwork Craft Bamboo Cable Management Cord Organizer Box: Cord management boxes keep cords and power strips contained and hidden on desktops, creating an appealing visual.
Cable Management Box 3 Pack with 141PCS Cable Management Kit for Power Strip,Cord Organizer Boxes,Cord Management Wire Organizer of Cable Clips&Cable Sleeve to Hide Wires & Cables for Home&Office
- Are you feel worried and tired of messy cables? this cable organizer set is a good gift for you. You will get three power strip boxes, LARGE,MEDIUM and SMALL, 10 x Cable Ties, 100 x Self Lock Wire Ties, 30 x Cable Clips(5 Kinds), 1 x Self Adhesive Cable Tie Rolls.All kits help you organize your power strips and cables.
- We all dream a safety and neat house, these cable organizer box L(16.14″ x 6.14″ x 5.11″)-M(12.59″ x 5.31″ x 4.52″)-S(9.25″ x 4.52″ x 4.52″) cord box hider/surge protector box can help you store all of your cables & outlet apparatuses including charger, multiple power strips, cords, adapters, HDMI cables, etc in one convenient & safe place and keep all your accessory cables always tidy and dust free.
- Scandinavian Hub Store Under Desk Cable Management Tray: A cord management tray keeps troublesome cords out of sight and untangled underneath your desk.
Under Desk Cable Management Tray, Cord Organizer for Desk, Cable Organizer, Wire Organizer, Cord Management, Cable Management Under Desk, Wire Holders for Desk – Black Cable Tray – Set of 2X 17
- Strong and Sturdy: Avoid messy hanging wires! This under table cable management kit has lots of space for cables. The under desk wire organizer is made out of steel, giving it sturdy construction. It is fully welded and powder coated for long life.
- Easily Mounted: The under desk cord organizer tray installs to the bottom of any wood, MDF, or particleboard desk. You can even mount it on the wall and use it as a cable management wall unit. Not suitable for installation on paper honeycomb-filled desks like some IKEA office desks – Linnmon and Skarsta. We will also email the Installation Guide after your order.
- TESSAN Wireless Charger Power Strip: A tiny charging station can take care of your phone charging needs without becoming cluttered.
Small Power Strip 2 USB 1 Wireless Charger, TESSAN Mini Flat Plug Nightstand Desktop Charging Station with 2 Outlet 4 ft Extension Cord, Compatible with iPhone for Dorm Room Cruise
- 5 in 1 Desktop Power Strip: With 2 wide space AC outlets,2 USB ports and a wireless charging pad on the top can charge several devices at the same time. As a multifunction charger station hub, it makes your desktop less cluttered and organized
- Fast Wireless Phone Charger: 7.5W compatible with iPhone SE(2020) /12/ 12Pro/ 12 Pro Max/11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max/XS Max, XS, XR, X / 8/8 Plus; 10W compatible with Galaxy S20, S20+, S20 Ultra, S10, S10 Plus, S10E, S9 Plus, S9, Note 9, Note 8, S8, S8 Plus, S7, S7 Edge; 15W compatible with LG V30/ V35/ V40; Other phones support 5W wireless charging. (Mobile phones with wireless charging can be charged)
Want to join others who are creating the most amazing home offices and get more tips, tricks and hacks on how to make your home office the best it can be?
Join my brand new free private Facebook group, Home Office Hacks to connect with other home office hackers to make your space the best!